Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnose this tranny/clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose this tranny/clutch problem

the car is a 02 transam with a 402 ls2 stroker big afr heads with a trex cam.
the tranny is the stock T56 and a Mcleod street twin clutch. the setup has about a 1000 miles. on the 2nd trip to the track the i ran 4 times (1/8 mile) in about an hour and half. on the last run i noticed it was hard to get into gear and the clutch smelled hot. so i let it set for 3 hours to cool off. when i go to try it again the car would NOT go into any gear while the motor was running. it remained in neutral, the clutch pedal feels normal. so i turned the motor off and the car would go into 1st gear and i was able to put it up on the trailer, bu the clutch got REALLY hot and clutch smoke boiled out of the hood!!!
the car was extremely hard to get into reverse. the car seemed to pull out ok in first gear.
what do you think is the problem?

thanks
jesse
Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it slip any on your passes? Stink means burning clutch media from slippage, and it usually = wasted clutch. Bad news bud. Also sounds like you have some disengagement issues, possibly air in the lines, or something else is worn out, and not allowing total disengagement. You will have to take it apart and see. It might be that, that clutch type can take some burning and still be ok for awhile if you figure out why its not disengaging, if it did not slip on your runs. It does not sound too promising on it still being good though.

Last edited by BOONE; 08-08-2005 at 01:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Diagnose this tranny/clutch problem