Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Z06 clutch or spec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 clutch or spec?

i dont have much done...lid, ram air kit, slp exhaust...

i need a new clutch my went to **** on saturday.

2 questions....are these the same clutches...

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/223...te-Assembly.htm

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-Corvette.html

2nd question...
should i go with the spec clutch?

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cf...ry=Transmission

stage 1 or 2 im thinking would be good for me...

what do u guys think.

Last edited by Madison Dave; 08-08-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you plan on adding any mods later on ( like h/c, headers, etc. ) I would go for the Spec stage 3, that way you want have to change your clutch out again.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you might want to check those links, or maybe I'm retarded.

As far as clutches, I think it might be worth going with the z06 clutch. You can get it from GM parts direct.com for about 320, and I think it comes with a flywheel? (don't quote me on that). I am in a similiar postition, and the more I look around the more I think the z06 is for me, although my car only has a borla catback.

Thats my take on this.
hope it helps a little

Josh
Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

How do you drive your car would be the first thing to consider...

However I have experience with the Z06 clutch and the Spec III. You need to consider that there are a ton of anti Spec threads but also realize that more people buy spec than most other brands so its proportional. In my experience I do not want to even have a question about this possibility at all everytime I dump the clutch

"If i do a clutch dump or burnout will my clutch burn up or will my tires spin?"

With the Z06 clutch i burnt it up in less than a year with MAYBE 5 track visits and doing at MOST 15-20 burnouts on a 275 street tire. I was pissed!

I'd say forget the Spec I or II. Just get a III trust me. The chatter goes away at the end of the break in period ~500 miles. After that your left with a slightly heavier than stock clutch pedal with ungodly grip! However its not like everytime you let the clutch out the car jumps uncontrolably. It is just like stock only it hold MUCH better. Just my .02. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
How do you drive your car would be the first thing to consider...

However I have experience with the Z06 clutch and the Spec III. You need to consider that there are a ton of anti Spec threads but also realize that more people buy spec than most other brands so its proportional. In my experience I do not want to even have a question about this possibility at all everytime I dump the clutch

"If i do a clutch dump or burnout will my clutch burn up or will my tires spin?"

With the Z06 clutch i burnt it up in less than a year with MAYBE 5 track visits and doing at MOST 15-20 burnouts on a 275 street tire. I was pissed!

I'd say forget the Spec I or II. Just get a III trust me. The chatter goes away at the end of the break in period ~500 miles. After that your left with a slightly heavier than stock clutch pedal with ungodly grip! However its not like everytime you let the clutch out the car jumps uncontrolably. It is just like stock only it hold MUCH better. Just my .02. Good luck!
im wit you. I have a spec 3 and its fine on street after break in. I thought about the z06 clutch cuz it was awesome in my buddies z06 but after some heat and abuse it doesnt feel that great.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Teching In

well ive had the car 3 days...i didnt listen to well to "baby" it and the clutch should last the rest of the summer...too hard not too have some fun.

it will mostly be street driven...and i dont have a whole lot $$ for mods right now. i decided after researching to go with the z06 clutch for now with the flywheel and ordered a new master and slave cylinder.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DesertFox
I think you might want to check those links, or maybe I'm retarded.

As far as clutches, I think it might be worth going with the z06 clutch. You can get it from GM parts direct.com for about 320, and I think it comes with a flywheel? (don't quote me on that). I am in a similiar postition, and the more I look around the more I think the z06 is for me, although my car only has a borla catback.

Thats my take on this.
hope it helps a little

Josh

haha both sites updated and changed there links....weird. oh well i just had the shop that i towed it to order it from GM
Old 08-08-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Madison Dave
haha both sites updated and changed there links....weird. oh well i just had the shop that i towed it to order it from GM

The Z06 clutch comes in 01-02's. There is nothing special about them... wait a year and you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Teching In

it mostly comes down to my dad...since he is paying to have it fixed he is being stubborn about what i get. i tried explaining stuff and he just doesnt want to listen...so i guess when this one goes out ill go with a spec stage III or something. oh well it will be better then the stock one...just have to upgrade later when i need it and can afford it.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Teching In

im doin drill mod then buyin spec III
soon as i can gather sum money...
Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z06 clutch= bad mistake!
My Z06 clutch lasted 4 K miles with just bolt-ons. I installed a Spec 3 ceramic when I put in the stroker and it just gave up after 17K HARD miles. You can get a Spec 3 for $375 and a billet steel lighter weight flywheel from AMS racing on Ebay for $115. WELL worth the extra $160!!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

I love the LS6 in mine, i've beat the living hell out of it for over 30k miles (about 2 years) on the street and over 150 track passes leaving between 4000-6000 rpm on DR's.. no problems yet. The key is using tirespin and just a little clutch slip to keep the clutch/rearend going (stock 10 bolt here).

I also know about 5 people who have torn up rearend gears/posi/axles or driveshafts all using the spec 3, it just doesn't slip enough for near stock drivetrain parts. IMO.. I have almost 90k on mine rearend/driveshaft.. no problems.

I guess some people are harder on parts than others.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

has anyone else tried the ls6 clutch?

my stock clutch is slippin really bad and im looking to put a new one in this winter...think im between an ls6 clutch and spec stage III
Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Teching In

got the ls6 clutch in so far so good...
Old 08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i might sound a lil dumb so bare with me. is a z06 clutch the same as a ls6 clutch???,cause i have a 02 camaro and mine is shitty i hate it,i plan on more things to my car should i just save for the spec3 or howbout centerforce or ram???? or would i just be wasting money on the z06 upgrade cause it sounds like thats what i already have??
Old 08-11-2005, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 408Maro
ok i might sound a lil dumb so bare with me. is a z06 clutch the same as a ls6 clutch???,cause i have a 02 camaro and mine is shitty i hate it,i plan on more things to my car should i just save for the spec3 or howbout centerforce or ram???? or would i just be wasting money on the z06 upgrade cause it sounds like thats what i already have??
Yup, you already have one.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

if you aren't moding your SS then go with the Ls6 oR Z06 otherwise get the SPEC stg III. i have around 2k on my stg.III SPEC; and let me tell you that in the city it chatters so bad that my entire car shakes, but in the drag it hooks very well that makes me forget any disadvantges .