Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can those with the RAM power grip (non-HD) please step inside?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can those with the RAM power grip (non-HD) please step inside?

My new clutch is on the way and I just wanna clear a few things up before I start the install. For those who used the ram pg with a stock resurfaced flywheel...did you use a shim? If so what size?

The reason I ask is because the install directions on installuniversity.com say that it is basicaly trial and error to find the right spacing before the clutch engages properly. If I have to tear everything apart again right after I just put the stuff in, I'm gunna go ape ****.

So any tips from guys who have this clutch are much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my stock flywheel resurfaced and didnt know it needed to be rebalanced, needless to say i had all kinds of probs not releasing, i would just buy a new flywheel and save myself the aggravation, just my .02cents
Old 08-09-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my RAM PG almost a month ago and also used the stock resurfaced flywheel. When I put it back together is when I realized I needed to shim it as I could not shift into gear at high RPM's. I just used the shim that you can buy from RAM and it cured my problem...definately use a shim! It'll save you some time!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midnite_LS1
I installed my RAM PG almost a month ago and also used the stock resurfaced flywheel. When I put it back together is when I realized I needed to shim it as I could not shift into gear at high RPM's. I just used the shim that you can buy from RAM and it cured my problem...definately use a shim! It'll save you some time!
Thank You...that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Did you have any balancing issues? I know when I had the McLeod installed in my C5 with a stock resurfaced flywheel it had a vibration at aroun 4k. It had to be removed and balanced.

It seems like whether it needs a balance or not is really a crap shoot...