Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

centerforce vs. SPEC

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default centerforce vs. SPEC

These 2 clutches are basically my only options, since they are resonably priced. Looking at post about both brands it seems nobody hates the centerforce but nobody rants and raves about it either, the SPEC 3 seems to be a hit and miss sort of thing. ( works great for some, and breaks for others)

After those 2 choices it seems every other clutch is just not feasable right now ( price wise)

my 3rd choice is a custom brass clutch. i had this clutch in my WS6 and it was ok grabbed like a mother, but there was absolutly no slipping of it so it made daily driving rather crappy. If i went that route this time instead of using 6 brass pucks on the disk this time there would be 3 to try and take some of the harshness out. Now if i had a 12 bolt and some 4.10s i would already have this clutch. but not yet lol

btw the car is a bolt on cam only car with stock gears/rear if you need to know. Any help making this descion is greatly appreciated.

Tyler
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I came on here looking for alternatives to SPEC and Centerforce since not only have I heard bad things I have experienced them. In my 94 Z28 1LE I am making a whopping (sarcasm added here) 284 hp (maybe a little more now after a better tune and coolant bypass) to the wheels and I wore out my SPEC III after less then 10k miles and yes I am a very compitent shifter. I maybe put 20-25 passes on it at the track and only 3 second gear burnouts so yes I am pissed. My stock clutch in my 96 Z28SS had over 60 passes and 40k on it when I was hit and it still worked great so go figure. I am trying to find someone who has had a McLeod for an opinion on them. Add I am a retard hear but happy I learned, read on for my additional edit

OK, so I learned a lot to day. The SPEC Stage III which I had is not intended for my application which was in a stock axle ratio 3000lb car that is drivin almost daily. It is intended for heavy strip use/occasional street use in a highly geared and very light car. The man I spke to also said that I was very lucky to get 10k out of mine since I drive in stop and go traffic so much so that says a good thing about my clutch work and shifting. Anyway, to shortin this up I was wrong to use this clutch. In my case they would not have sold me the clutch had I been more clear about my intentions since I ordered online and only spoke to one person briefly about it. They would have recomended a Stage I or II from SPEC and now I see SPEC has a few more options available on their site.

Now as far as Centerforce which is what I am going with this time, GMPP uses and recomends them in their racing/performance applications because they have found them to work the best and last the longest in their own team/sponsored cars. I know GM doesn't screw around so I am taking their advice. I am going to go with the Dual Friction clutch and was told that I should only get about 10k miles less out of this clutch from the people at Midway Industries (the parent company) in normal driving and it will take the abuse it will see in the occasional road course activity or passes down the drag strip. I also mentioned that I am planning for about 500 hp and ft lbs at the flywheel down the road which is why he recomended the dual friction over the Centerforce I which they have customers using with upwards of 450 hp and similar torque at the strip with no problems but this if of course not recomended. There is a Centerforce II which I would like to use but they don't make it for LT1's. So there yah go, that is what there is to know about this crap lol. Here is the links to the companies I spoke with not including GM since I won't give my pop's number out there. Thunder Racing seemed to have the best deal on SPEC and Summit seems to have the best deal on Centerforce unless you have a good connection which I won't get into. www.centerforce.com www.specclutch.com www.thunderracing.com www.sumittracing.com the last one I am sure most people know.

Last edited by Rare4thgens; 08-11-2005 at 12:52 PM.