Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bellhousing removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bellhousing removal

AHHHHHHH!!! Anyone know any tricks ? I've got one side off a little, and the side where the starter is at is giving me HELL! What can I do to help make this a little easier ? Anyone ? I have CRANKED on this mfer and still nothing.... PLEASE HELP
Old 08-12-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone ?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First the bellhousing rides on two alignment pins. If you're yanking on one side and not the other it wont come off. Double check to make sure you have all the bolts out, and remove the bellhousing STRAIGHT. Prying one side too far and not the other could bend the pins, crack the bellhousing, and generally give you a very bad day. You should see two small indentations that are designed to be safe places to gently pry the bellhousing off. Just be carefull not to damage the mating surfaces or bend the pins or you could cause alignment problems. Put some anti-seize on the pins when you put it back together so you don't have this problem if you need to do it again.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine practically fell off when I did my clutch. Either way, you might want to give some liquid wrench a try. It has saved my *** many times while working on my car. Spray some on the pins and in the cracks. Also, you can use a propane torch to heat the bellhousing around the pins. The aluminum bellhousing will expand faster than the steel pins so it will come off easier.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Launching!

remember to antiseize those bitches beofre you put everyything together

the dowel pins that is, it will make your life easier next time you pull the tranny
Old 08-12-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

You can also sand down the dowel pins before you go back to install the bellhousing again so it can be easier to remove in the future. Good luck to you, that bellhousing is probably the biggest pain in the *** with a clutch install.