Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ram Clutch

so i got a Ram Powergrip from TSP a few months ago. also purchased a new slave with it as well. well, i never got around to installing it so it was just sitting around...

months went by and my friend bought a SS from a dealer, which ended up needing to have the tranny repaired under warrenty. while the tranny was out, he wanted to replace the clutch, so i told him to toss in the Ram i had lying around.

the dealer put it in, along with the new slave. but something was not right. when pushing down the clutch pedal, is was 'dead' until it was right off the floor. and when disengaging the clutch, its disengages immediately, and then is dead after an inch or so off the floor. the lines were bled multiple times, so that wasnt an issue. also a shim was put it, and it helped a little, but not enough to make it drivable.

the dealer thinks it might be the wrong clutch, but on the box im pretty sure it says it the right one. he held it up to the stocker and it wasnt the same size (off by a little), and i want to say some holes were off as well. he ended up putting the stock clutch back in and it works fine.

did i just get the wrong clutch? or was something not done right?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

T T T ....
Old 08-21-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the slave was sitting too far away from the pressure plate. Did you verify the part number with ram?
Old 08-21-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

its not the slave. after the clutch didnt work right, the stock clutch was put back in w/ the new slave and it works fine.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

How thick was the shim that was used? I had a RAM 420 with the 900 series sintered iron disc when my new motor went in a couple of months ago. I called RAM before it was installed and they told me I would need a 1/4" shim or an adj. master cylinder like the McLeod, which is what I used. The clutch worked correctly, but was way too stiff for street driving and the disc is more for racing than for street. I broke the motor in for 1800 miles and the disc was shot. Replaced the whole clutch with a Textralia kit, but kept the McLeod master, which they do not recommend. It let out just off the floor and was fully engaged in about an inch. Then I took it to the track and put in 14 or 15 runs almost back to back and boiled the hydraulic fluid. It turned all dark and clutch was dragging making it hard to shift. Had the master bench bled, and the slave bled. Now it engages just off the floor, but is not fully engaged until about 1" from the top of the pedal. Called McLeod and was told that when I boiled the fluid I probably damaged the rubber oring and cup seal, that is why the fluid was discolored. Bought a rebuild kit which should be in this week. Once that is installed, I will see what it does.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

im not sure how thick the shim was. it helped, but not enough. you still couldnt drive it at all. imagine trying to push down the clutch, and right after it starts to engage, it hits the floor. so it wasnt engaged enough to shift gears. im going to get the PN and call TSP and see what they will do.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said, the slave is too far away from the pressure plate with the peddle travel you have. It's not that it's bad, just not in the correct position for that clutch.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ive been driving on mine for 2 summers, my pedal is harder to push in than most, and it engages right off the floor almost, hardly any play in the pedal. it works fine, it just took some time to get use to.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

i got a problem with my ram powergrip hd i need help
it goes in an out of gear fine. but when i get on it and go pass 6200 its hard to get it in and out of gear its like hitting a wall or not disengaging all the way or something have stock hydralics slave/master.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

theres your reason.. stock hydraulics