Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch ?

Im trying to figure out if my clutch is going out. When I get on it or when i do a burnout, after I loose preassure, like its sloppy, doesnt realy stick to the floor but was woundering if it is going out. Also how hard are the to put in and how what kind should i get. thanks Troy
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need a little help here
Old 08-20-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're slipping the clutch at all during burnouts it's gonna fry the factory clutch. The sloppiness you feel is a result of the flywheel, pressure plate, friction disc, and clutch hydraulics all overheating. When you're smoking the tires if your foot is on the clutch at all after they get spinning you're asking for problems.

To replace it you'll need to pull the transmission. If you search around there are some sites that'll walk you through it. I can pull one in my garage in about 3 hours after doing it a few times. If you need the car as a daily driver and you've never done it before I'd take it somewhere to have it done. The big manufacturers are Ram, Mcleod, Centerforce, Textralia, and Spec. Call their tech lines and do some shopping to see what's in your price range. Depending on what you're looking for you'll be balancing price, chatter, holding force, and warranty/service.

On my basically stock 2000 TA I threw on a Z06 clutch with a Fidanza flywheel and am happy with it so far. If you're making much over 350-400 hp and dragging the car I'd go with something more aggressive.