Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HUGE T56 problem. daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HUGE T56 problem. daily driver

I know this is mostly LS1 stuff but its the only place that looked like it had decent info. I run a 95 caprice with a 94 camaro T56 (its a noisy one). I have a push style clutch NOT the pull style originally on it (93-97 f-body)and a 3/8 bellhousing spacer. Only 200 miles on the setup I had a light vibe between 20 and 30 mph. I also had some chatter moving-in gear-clutch pushed in-engine idleing. I figured It was from the pilot bushing. I yanked the tranny to inspect and well I found 3 things. 1 The pilot bearing was worn out .040 allready! 2 The input shaft moves .050 side to side (how much is too much). 3 I had a loose bearing race in the tail housing for the countershaft! It wasnt hogged out or anything but it wasnt pressed in either so I temporarily centerpunched the housing and green loctited the race in. I will get a new housing when I rebuild. I REALLY need to know how to check the location of the bellhousing on the T56 to fing out why my pilot is taking such a beating. Theres no center hole like the oldschool stuff to locate from! I allready checked the spacer thickness all around and its within .001 . I checked for debris betweed the block spacer and bellhousing. All perfectly clean! I have extended locating dowels. They are tight and the bellhousing is snugg on them. Could the pilot wear be just from the input shaft movement or something else? For more info you can look at my thread over at impalassforum.com right here
Old 08-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody wants to venture huh! I have decided to reshim the main and countershaft and reinstall it. This way I can determine if the pilot wear is from the loose input or misalignment.

Quick Reply: HUGE T56 problem. daily driver