Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Soft Pedal Feel

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Soft Pedal Feel

I recently flushed out my fluid with some prestone dot 3 synthetic brake fluid. I bled the traditional method and then mityvac method multiple times. The pedal feels good when first pumped and I'm able to shift at higher rpms without a problem. The problem I'm having is when I'm backing up and then shift to first (keeping the clutch in for a little longer), I'm locked out. The pedal then feels soft and requires a few pumps to build up pressure. It also does this if I'm at a light and have the clutch depressed for longer than 15 seconds or so.

I'm in Houston and it's pretty damn hot. I have the stock exhaust manifold with the heat shields still there. I read that some have wrapped the lines with heat resistant tape/material. I'll continue to bleed, but I'm wondering what type of insulator to use - something I can buy at autozone? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have some additional rubber hose wrapped around my hydraulic line, and was careful not to leave any excess line down by the converter. I also made sure to properly route the line under the heat shield with the rubber line on the house pinned between the body and the shield. Never had any of the overheating problems but I figured I'd do it while I was under there just to be safe.

Did you have the problem before bleeding the system? If not then during bleeding you've introduced air. Check the peddle firmness with the line disconnected from the slave. It should be impossible to depress. If you can push it down there's air in the master.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW: Bench bleeding the master is the easiest/best way to get all the air out.