Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

car shakes when accelerating after clutch install??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car shakes when accelerating after clutch install??

I am looking at buying a 00 ss. I am getting a good deal in the car, but when you try to get in it, the car shakes. The seller told me that he just put a spec stage 3 in it, and he thinks he might have installed the disk backwards. Now he just want to get rid of it. Does this sound right? If I buy it will I be able to just flip the disk and everything be fine. Let me know guys. Thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

could be the break in time, with that clutch you can see some chatter when you take off or get on the gas a bit. find out who put it in and talk to them. he might have got a new flywheel or rotated it and never got it balenced to zero that could also be causing the chatter. hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tell him to get someone to look at the clutch before you buy it. I wouldnt want to buy someone elses problems.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The disc isn't in backwards or the disc would not disengage. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "get in it". If the clutch pedal is already up and the disc is engaged when you go for throttle, it sholdn't shake the car. If you are talking about taking off from a standstill, my limited experience is that the higher the RPM's when you let the clutch out, the less the clutch will shake the car. If he did just install a SPEC 3 on the car and hasn't driven much, if it's anything like the SPEC Stage I I put in my car, shake rattle and roll from a standstill unless you take off at around 2K RPM's. It could be a lot of things though. It could be an old flywheel making it chatter or it could be that bolts aren't torqued properly on the pressure palte or it could be that the trans mount or torque arm aren't properly attached and torqued or it could be that the trany mount is broken, just to mention a few things.

Take it to a good repair shop and ask them to diagnose the problem and give a repair estimate. Double that amount (at least) and take that much off what you would otherwise offer for the car. Or walk away. There isn't any shortage of 00's as far as I know.

Quick Reply: car shakes when accelerating after clutch install??