Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Steel driveshaft.....chuck it, or keep it?

Old 08-27-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel driveshaft.....chuck it, or keep it?

My car is one of those oddball ones with some weird features. First off, it came with Good Year GS-A touring tires, 235/55/16 which in turn resulted in a speed limiter of 117 mph and a steel drive shaft.

By looking at my sig, you can tell that I corrected all this except for the driveshaft. I heard that some stock aluminum driveshafts have broken on higher hp cars. Well, my car is not really stock anymore, should I keep the steel one, or what should I upgrade to?

I am guessing the heavy steel one is robbing me of some hp too, isn't it?

So....if I should upgrade to a different shaft, what should it be? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

Manny
Old 08-27-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes the stock aluminum unit does break, if you want to go AL, go aftermarket. You can also go carbon.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any specific size and brand?

The stocker is 3", right?

And I do lose some power to the rear wheels with the heavy steel one, correct?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

The difference in weight between the stock steel and aluminum driveshafts is something like 5-7 lbs (don't remember exactly), so it's not robbing you of much hp. Yes, I do realize it is rotational mass. If you plan to do any type of drag racing, I'd stick with the steel one especially considering you're an M6. Most M6 cars end up pretzeling their stock aluminum driveshaft, but I don't hear of many (any actually) breaking the stock steel one. If you don't plan to ever go to the strip, then yeah an aluminum one would benefit you, not a huge amount, but a little.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the stock steel driveshaft is a smaller diameter than the aluminum one. This might be of some concern to you if you have any exhaust clearance issues.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

PST and Dennys both make high quality aluminum driveshafts.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
My car is one of those oddball ones with some weird features. First off, it came with Good Year GS-A touring tires, 235/55/16 which in turn resulted in a speed limiter of 117 mph and a steel drive shaft.

By looking at my sig, you can tell that I corrected all this except for the driveshaft. I heard that some stock aluminum driveshafts have broken on higher hp cars. Well, my car is not really stock anymore, should I keep the steel one, or what should I upgrade to?

I am guessing the heavy steel one is robbing me of some hp too, isn't it?

So....if I should upgrade to a different shaft, what should it be? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

Manny
Keep the steel one. The stock(alum.) isn't worth a crap and nether is an inland impire one. I've broke them both. Now have steel w/ 1350 u-joints and no problems yet .
Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool...saves money...that's for sure.

Although I heard if you get a Dennys driveshaft, they guarantee that you can't break them and if you do, they'll get you a new one.

I am not a racer anyhow, I just got the cam and headers for the sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel driveshaft.....chuck it, or keep it?