Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel?

Is it wort it to get an aluminum flywheel? I hear mixed reveiws over it being hard to take off in 1st gear and especialy when drag racing, it causes the engine to bog.

Is this true? and is it just because of it's lighter weight that it has no momentum in inertia to get the car rolling?
Attached Thumbnails Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel?-flywheel.jpg  
Old 09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I burned up my clutch earlier this year, I replaced my flywheel along with the clutch. I was told a stock flywheel replacement would be $1400 because the one I had could not be resurfaced. I purchased the Fidanza for $380 from Scoggin-Dickey instead. It turns out the flywheel I already had in the car was a Fidanza also (now toasted ). They aren't as smooth as a regular flywheel and they make a grinding noise at low rpms. If you leave the car in neutral with the AC on and release the clutch, it makes even more noise. Other than this, it launches great and seems to be working.

Remember also that there may be differences with your experience, as my tranny is a ZF 6-speed instead of the more common T56.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Is it wort it to get an aluminum flywheel? I hear mixed reveiws over it being hard to take off in 1st gear and especialy when drag racing, it causes the engine to bog.

Is this true? and is it just because of it's lighter weight that it has no momentum in inertia to get the car rolling?
right. when it comes to drag racing they arent good. i imagine they a better suited for high rpm road racing
Old 09-14-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, there was a guy who installed one and went drag racing. He said he lost .2 from his 60 foot, but he was .1 quicker through the 1/4 mile. Considering he was .2 slower at first, and .1 faster in the end, from 60 feet out, he made up .3. Meaning, if he was racing farther than 1/4, he'd make up more.

I have a fidanza in my car. It's quicker, where I used to get some tire spin when I'd floor it in first, the car now "skates" because it does spin the tires harder. It's no problem to drive on the street. The revs fall a bit quicker between shifts, but you just learn to blip the throttle or shift more quickly.

A flywheel stores energy. If you are leaving at redline on a stock flywheel, you would lose some 60 foot time on a fidanza. If you are leaving at less than that, all you need to do is increase RPM to make up for the weight difference and store the same amount of energy. Instead of leaving at 2,500, leave at 3,300, etc. Once you get past the initial RPM from the launch, a heavy flywheel hurts you everywhere else. So, I'd take the light flywheel any day. And, it's SFI certified.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the clarification trackbird...
Old 09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I agree with trackbird, I have gone 11.38 with a stock flywheel leaving at 6000 rpms and pulling a 1.62 on that pass and running 121.3 mph on that pass. I have not been to a track now that my new Spec and aluminum flywheel are in due to that bitch Katrina hitting us.
I can say though it is a little different taking off at low rpm's but I leave at 38-4200 on the street with the Nittos with out bogging a bit. SPin about 5 feet but pulling hard but after the launch , It pulls a bit harder tehn before. I expect good results On the M/T drag radials leaving at 6000 or higher if needed with more mph
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

I know, bringing a thread back from the dead.......

I went ahead and got the fidanza a while back and forgot about this post I made. Everything these guys said above is true. I like how fast the engine revs but I don't like how it takes off in 1st gear. The Spec III chatters like hell with this flywheel and the car boggs down really bad at the track. My advice to others is to just go with a lighter weight steel flywheel.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

A couple of issues:
The Fidanza insert must be properly surfaced prior to installation.

The Fidanza is not balanced (mine caused a vibration).

Billet steel is probably a better option. I went with a RAM billet unit this time that is balanced and surfaced and ready to go right out of the box.