Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! Something is wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Something is wrong...

I was at the track this past Saturday, and had made about 3 passes everything seemed normal, and then on my 4th pass I did my burnout, let the line lock loose, and rolled up to the line. I have a habit of taking my car out of gear and coasting up to the line then putting it back in gear. Well when I did this it wouldn't go into gear. I had to shut the car off, put it in gear, then start it, and as I did this the car was rolling with my foot holding the clutch to the floor. What happened here? What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everything points to the area of the shift fork or the ball mount for the fork for the clutch not to be fully disengaging. My opinion only.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 PM
wrencher

Sounds like a hydraulic problem. More like the clutch was not fully releasing. What cha got stock clutch? Hows the fluid look?
How did the pedal feel when it did that?
I would fix the potential hydraulic problem B-4 it turns into a bigger one, like doing trans damage.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher
Sounds like a hydraulic problem. More like the clutch was not fully releasing. What cha got stock clutch? Hows the fluid look?
I would fix the potential hydraulic problem B-4 it turns into a bigger one, like doing trans damage.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Spec III clutch, pedal felt the same as it has been, also I have the stock hydraulics, but it's an '02 T/A so they are upgraded. You guys think I should go for the slave and master cylinder?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 PM
wrencher

Well I suggest trying to flush the fluid. But I dont care every time I pull the trans & the slave has some 'use' I replace it. I also flush my fluid often, if it starts getting dark I flush it. But it's usually after going to the track that it darkens.
It keeps it alive, & problem free.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Here is my experience with SPEC

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
I have a Spec III clutch, pedal felt the same as it has been, also I have the stock hydraulics, but it's an '02 T/A so they are upgraded. You guys think I should go for the slave and master cylinder?
I installed the clutch with the slave cylinder shim that came with the kit. I did the drill mod, put it all back together, bled it, got in it, Pedal engaged right off the floor. I drove the car around for a while and the car started getting impossible to find gears.

I ripped the trans off, installed a new, upgraded slave cylinder, put it back together, bled it, no better.

I bled it somemore, no better.

Ripped the trans back off and added some home made sheet aluminum shims, This corrected the problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

The guy that indstalled my Spec didn't use the shim. It was engaging right off the floor, until I smoked it one good time at the track, (long story) and now it engages close to the top. Should I shim the slave?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Well I suggest trying to flush the fluid. But I dont care every time I pull the trans & the slave has some 'use' I replace it. I also flush my fluid often, if it starts getting dark I flush it. But it's usually after going to the track that it darkens.
It keeps it alive, & problem free.
Thank ya man, I'll give it a try. I think I'm gonna stick a new slave in there, do I need to upgrade the master of leave it be?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

ttt...for more info.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:34 PM
wrencher

I never messed w/ slave shims. I always used an adjustable master to get the pedal the way I wanted. It sure is alot easier to adjust than a slave shim.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Kinda sounds like the clutch disc may be stuck to the flywheel is your pedal feels normal.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for your time fellas.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem this past weekend I couldnt GET ANY GEAR... unless I turned the car off pumped the pedal and started it in gear.... so when I limped home I looked at my fluid and it was GOD AWFUL, I mean gross... blacker than night, so we flushed it and for good measure we took the tranny off to inspect the disk (took us 20min to pull the tranny ) so tomorrow we will put it all together and hopefully it will work.

o btw I have a SPEC stg 3, their billet steel flywheel, and my stock '02 hydraulics (42K miles)

Quick Reply: Help! Something is wrong...