Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Removal

Old 08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
DJB
12 Second club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Removal

I want to get my trans rebuilt by D&D and they said I need to remove it and bring it. I need to know what I need to get the car high enough to remove the trans. I know if I get the car high enough in the air then I can pull the tran myself. It's just how high does it need to be and how can I get it that high in my driveway.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

I dropped the tranny for my clutch swap by getting the rear tires on rhino ramps and the front on jack stands. It gave me enough clearance to slide the tranny out from the bottom. Layed it down on a piece of cardboard and just slide it out.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
DJB
12 Second club

How did you hold the tranny up to slide it out?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He probably let it down on his chest, rolled it off, and slid it out. Works for getting it out, but getting it in like that can be tricky.

You need it a good 2 feet up to get it in/out with a trans jack. Just get four of those big truck jacks and put them as high as they'll go. You need to alternate sides a few times so it doesn't get too off balance while jacking it up, but it's pretty straight forward.

I think it took me longer to get the car up in the air then it did to remove the trans.

Good Luck
Old 08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Launching!

I put my car on 4 jack stands. Then take it all apart and then use a regular floor jack. I just balance it on the jack while somebody lets the jack down and then they pull it out the back of the car.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Advance Auto $20 24" Truck jackstands for the front and two 10" cinder blocks for the rear tires. Works wonders and great for header installs also. I raised and lowered my T56 with a small 14" car jack along with balancing it with my forearm. Does not hurt to have another set of hands by all means.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a regular floor jack and a little tranny holder I made out of some wood to keep it balanced on the jack. Worked great.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

What I did was like Krab said, rear on ramps, front on big 3 ton jackstands that go up as high as 28" (didn't need them that high though). I used a pair of floorjacks to lower the trans - I had ordered a trans jack for like $200, but harbor frieght didn't ship in time and I got tired of waiting so I cancelled it. Using the pair of jacks, one at each end, I was able to maneuver the trans enough to slide it out and lower it slowly. What I found with my car, was I needed to jack up the rear of the trans to allow it to move all the way back, and clear the input shaft from the bellhousing. Then I lowered the front jack until the input shaft dropped below the bell, then moved the trans forward on the jacks, and lowered the rear and front evenly. It'd probably be easier with another pair of hands to help balance, but I was able to slowly do it all by myself.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

I too used a couple of jacks to lower and slide the tranny out. Just make sure it stays balanced, and have a friend to help you out since you'll be in an akward position laying on your back.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I used a regular floor jack and a little tranny holder I made out of some wood to keep it balanced on the jack. Worked great.
i've done the exact same thing making a tranny holder out of wood using a regular car jack.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

i've had the car not quite 2 feet in the air... i just pulled the trans out, let it down on my chest, and then rolled it down and slid it on the garage floor out from underneath the car. i have used the same tecnique getting the trans back in... but that kinda sucked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Removal