Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How strong is our T56?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How strong is our T56?

I heard that our Trans is pretty strong! How much abuse can it take? What does it take to throw off the synchros or bend up the forks? I'm just asking because I was driving with a Centerforce and stock Througout/clutch master cyl. I was not able to change it out and do the drill mod for about two months. It was hard some times getting the car into first and reverse. Just wondering if I did any damage.

Sometimes the trany acts up when just starting. It won't let me put it in first without letting go of the clutch and then pressing it in again. Then all is fine. Sometimes I get a clunk sound when putting it in first (sounds like it's coming from the rear but that doesn't make any sense)! Or am I missing something

Help a brotha out!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

mine had 54kmiles on it when it started givin me trouble. no more 4th gear wont even go in. 3rd grinds, as do 5 and 6th....i think the previous owner(s) didnt know how to drive it...... really beat the poor basstard (the t56)
Old 09-07-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you might have a little bit of air left in the hydrolics. As far as strength, it really just depends on how well the car is driven.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its torque that will kill them. I think they can reliably handle 450-500 ft/lbs.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

Do a search in the timeslips section. There are plenty of stock T56 running in the 10's. But as pointed out above, it all depends on how you drive.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

not strong enough. Looks like I'm getting a rebuild.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Launching!

These trannys are pretty stout stock, but not bulletproof. It doesnt really sound like you need a re-build, but someone said they would be going through one. Well I have some advise for whoever said they needed the rebuild, and this is from personal experience, I have help with the rebuild of 2 of these trannys.

When you re-build the tranny, you might want to check into getting steel shift forks instead of the stock aluminum. When I got my car, I thought the synchro in third was out, but turns out that the shift fork was bent. The 3-4 shift fork is the most notorious for bending, but it wouldnt hurt to do this with all of them. You might also want to get a set of billet synchro keys, as the stockers arent to great either. I guess all of what I just said depends on your application though, I dont know much about what change after 97 with the T56 as I am more into the LT1s, so you might not even have this, but im sure some LS1 guy could tell you for sure. You might check around and verify this before you buy it. Anyway, I got my master kit and the shift fork, and the billet keys from the gear box. They are reasonably priced. A T56 isnt really the nightmare that everyone says it is, everyone told me not to do my own, to send it off as a core and get a remanned or to leave it to the experts. Personally, I dont have the money to pay for that kind of thing going to college and all. Alot of people told me that it wouldnt work and all that, but its working just fine 3 months later. If you have the tools to do it, then its not bad at all, its just like any other manual trans. The main thing is to have some way to press the gears off of the mainshaft and to have all the tools to get the snap rings off, there are alot of snap rings on a T56.

Just my .02
Old 09-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

www.thegearbox.com

or call

734-793-0727

Quick Reply: How strong is our T56?