Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Power loss/gain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power loss/gain?

I am about to go from a stock worn out clutch with aluminum billet flywheel to probably a Z06 clutch and flywheel. What kind of loss/gain should i see in horsepower and torque? current mods are borla catback, lid, filter, MAF, smooth bellow.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A clutch and a flywheel do not add to your horsepower or torque, they provide a better way to get what power you do have to the ground.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

i guess i should have phrased it different. from what i have read, the aluminum will help you more in the top end while the steel will help you more "off the line", right?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

A dyno will not show a thing. You are only playing with the total inertia of your engine/clutch. Steel having more mass will store more energy at a given RPM so it will bog less once revved up and you let the clutch go. Aluminum on the other hand lets everything rev up faster in any condition, but stores less energy so the car can bog more when the clutch is dumped.

Why won't a dyno show this? Newton's second law is F=ma, in rotational terms its Torque=polar moment of inertia * angular acceleration. The torque absorbed by a steel flywheel only shows up when accelerating the engine. On a dyno the rev rate is kept low so this effect does not skew your ratings.

Quick Reply: Power loss/gain?