Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Advantage of an Aluminum Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advantage of an Aluminum Flywheel?

My guess is the fact is lighter so less rotating mass.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I have always pulled good 60 ft times with my car on Nittos with stock flywheel and my car ran strong . my best 60 ft with Nittos is a 1.64 on 315x35x17 Nitto Drags and 1.59 on m/t drag radials. I have always followed the old saying that the aluminum flywheels would cause the car to bog out the whole and not be worth a **** for drag racing, untill SPec talked me into trying one of theres at a great deal.

I can leave on the street at 4500 rpms on Nittos and spin about 2 feet and then hit the gas peddle when the car just starts to lay over and mash the gas to the floor. When the peddle hits the floor, hold on because this thing turns on much faster tehn it did with the stock flywheel and old spec clutch which had a billet steel pressure plate and the new ones are billet aluminum as well .

I am going to the track friday the 23rd and will post teh good or the bad to let every one know.

Spec told me that unless you are running a big tire and leaving already at max rpm(7000+) and still bogging with a steel flywheel then an aluminum flywheel will be quicker. I leave at 6000 On M/T drag radials and pulled a 1.59 as my best ever with Nittos not to far behind but only leaving at 4500 with them. I have plenty of rpms to go up on the launch if need be to make up for what little bog I will get on the small tires that I run and I can tell a big difference on the other end so I can look forward to a et reduction.

Quick Reply: Advantage of an Aluminum Flywheel?