Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much HP before shifting problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much HP before shifting problems?

Alright this is my situation I would like to keep my A4 car and build it as just a strip car. Only problem with that is I now have to get a street car. I was thinkin like an 00-02 WS6 or SS with an M6. I am thinkin of adding a cam (something around a 224/224 comp .581/.581 from speed inc), 4.10s, LTs, true duals, and probably 150-200 TNT Wet kit with all supporting mods. Also looking at SFC's and a T/A girdle. My ultimate goal is to have a car that runs around 11.70s or maybe faster on the street and I think with this setup and a good tune from Speed Inc. it shouldn't be a problem. The down side to this is I know people here in iowa that have heads/cam cars that are makin around 450 rwhp that cant get the 6speed to shift due to the torque and high hp levels running through it. Any suggestions on what the problem maybe or how to correct it. I dont dare want to get an 03 cobra to drvie every day so all imput would be much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Come on everyone...I really could use some advice and I know there is alot more T56 knowledge out there then what I have...ALL input would be very appreciated. Termin8R your car is a perfect example of what I am look to do so how bout some help all.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 09-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

I've seen bone stock T56's handling upwards of 500 hp.

If you take care of them that is, if your talkin one that has been beatin on, send it to ls1joe or have it rebuilt, it will come back bulletproof able to handle anything you throw at it.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off transmissions don't see HP , they see torque. The gears take that torque ( and there are limits to what can be taken but the range you site is not too tough for a T56)but its the synchros that do the shifting. Synchros require the torque to be interrupted while shifting to do their job( properly working clutch AND clutch operator) consistently. There are RPM limits that the T56 synchros can take but you'll not reach them with an LS1. (The mod-motored Fords come close)
I suspect your buddies that are having T56 troubles have set-up or orerator-induced issues.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is a street driven car, that will see an easy life... you shouldnt have any shifting problems that arer tranny related...... should being the major qualifier!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by calhoon
First off transmissions don't see HP , they see torque.
Thanks for the correction, knew that just didn't know what I was thinkin when I wrote it.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I worked at the Ford dealership someone traded in a 95 Firehawk with a T56 in it and we "test drove it" and discovered that on full tread 275/55/17's it would stay sideways well over the legal speed limit on any highway in the US (We let of at 85 mph or so b/c spinning at 85 is just not prudent) Anyways, he had full long tube exhaust, Head work (I think he was flowing close to 300cfm intake, not sure, he gave us the flow sheet) and a few other odds/ends, all i know is that car was sick and once it got spinning, it didnt realyl stop until you took your foot off of it. THe car smoked a tad and had had N20 through it, but the tranny still felt great, point being, the T56 can take a LOT of abuse.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

The T56 internals can handle alot more than most will throw at it.