Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How Much For A Clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much For A Clutch???

Its a 99 ws6, and if I do a hard launch (slipping it out quickly, not dropping it), I can smell a burning scent even after driving the car around a while after that, so im pretty sure the clutch is going. for now, im just taking it easy and driving it, nothing hard. Now, i went to look at clutch prices, for the clutch, pressue plate and something else, and it was a LUK for $700. I almost died. Is that the right price range for a clutch, and I heard installing it takes almost 6 hours!!! So, just wondering if there are cheaper clutches out there....thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone, anyone know prices of what they paid?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive seen the z06 clutch and flywheel on ebay for $399. Not sure of the quality though. Im looking for one too.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Launching!

depends on what you going to do with your car, if you going with heads and cam or even power adder, i would go with textrallia (hold over 700+rwhp); around $1000.
if you pretty much keep stock, maybe some bolt on mod, go with zo6 clutch; around $300 to $450 with everything you need.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I'd say if you wanna go with anything over 350 hp your not gonna wanna go with a z06 clutch, my car has around 340 or so and my clutch just got shot. Goin with a spec stage 3, if you can get someone with a discount or someone who is a specdealer and will cut you a deal you can get one with flywheel for around $700, maybe even $650, depends on what you go with.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go with the Spec Stage 3, resurface the flywheel, update the hydralics and you'll be set. Give me a call if your interested.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

i have a 98 ls1 i want to get a spec 3 clutch do i need the new style master, and slave cylinders? Also would you reccomend a new flywheel.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Its a 99 ws6, and if I do a hard launch (slipping it out quickly, not dropping it), I can smell a burning scent even after driving the car around a while after that, so im pretty sure the clutch is going. for now, im just taking it easy and driving it, nothing hard. Now, i went to look at clutch prices, for the clutch, pressue plate and something else, and it was a LUK for $700. I almost died. Is that the right price range for a clutch, and I heard installing it takes almost 6 hours!!! So, just wondering if there are cheaper clutches out there....thanks
I just replaced the clutch in my '98 trans am with LUK. It had a Ram high performance race clutch in the vehicle when I bought it, and the vehicle was completely stock. I'm inferring that the only reason that a stock clutch was not put in was because of price issues, (aftermarket are cheaper) and lack of doing research. The ram clutch was very,very,very stiff, it had terrible engagement and it chattered every time I started. I'm not sure if it is because of the charateristic of a race clutch, or just a jackass installing it but it made starts a headache, until I coluld master it with only a little "shake" or "shudder" when releasing the clutch. On the other hand when running the car it kicked ***, but for normal driving, no.
Your decision to buy a LUK is a good one, only if you plan to keep your hp aorund where it is. Like everyone else said, If you are going to increase hp, go for a high performance. LUK does sell a hight performance clutch, check the website.
If you saw $700 for a LUK OEM that is a major rip off. I purchased my LUK clutch off the internet-for cheap. I paid $468.62 for the entire clutch and components, including the flywheel and the SLAVE CYLINDER. Do not order the slave cylinder seperate, because the kit for the LS1 already comes with one. This includes $39.59 shipping and handling and I received it in maybe 3 days. Here is the company: www.dialaclutch.com

I figured I would be taking my chances because on the LUK company website there are reports of fraud-company's selling clutches they say are LUK but are just copies made of cheap material and lasting alsmot no period of time. They said to accept only clutches coming in OEM LUK boxes, pictured on the website. When I ordered my clutch the people were very knowledgeable. I received my cltuch in an LUK OEM box, had it installed because I do not have the time or a lift to make things easier. I had a friend of mine, very skilled mechanic at dealership put it in. I did this because I knew he was going to work on my car and not someone with little experience. So far the clutch has been great and the car drives like a dream, with perfect engagement. (I had never driven my trans am with a stock clutch.) NOTE: A new flywheel and Slave Cylinder is highly recommended.

Last edited by LS1obsession; 09-22-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW... the "Z06" clutch is made by LUK. Most GM clutches are made by LUK. The Z06 "is" the stock clutch from 2001+ in all LS1/LS6 cars. It's good for milder powered cars. You can find deals on them. $400ish shipped for clutch and a new flywheel kit. You also NEED to upgrade the hydraulics to the 01+ design. About $200 for both the master and slave.

Total of $600 in parts.. all new.

I had this clutch in my 01 SS and beat the hell out of it. I had 360-370 rwhp. It held up fine..

My buddy has an 01 C5 with the "Z06" clutch and is having some issues now. His car is 385 rwhp. With that said, I'm going big in my car. 450 rwhp on motor 550 rwhp on juice. I'm leaning toward Spec.

steve
Old 09-22-2005, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I have the stock "Z06" clutch, it doesn't hold up to the power rating its supposed to but its nice for mildly modded cars. I just think i pushed mine too hard and need something to support the way i aggressively shift when i'm racing. I'm probably at around 340-350 rwhp
Old 09-25-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive also heard that it takes about 6 hours to install a clutch. my mechanic charges $70 and hour, plus 6 hours, thats $420 for intall, $500-600 clutch kit. I may just have to drive the car super easy everywherew cause I dont have $1,000 to spend right now. any other choices? The clutch now grabs in every gear, does everything fine, except that burning smell..
Old 09-25-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

its about 250-400 to get a clutch installed.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, cause a GM dealer told me it took 6 hours, very hard to do. Hmmmm...interesting. Could it just be that my fluid needs to be changed, or does it sound like the clutch is on its way out. It has 46,000 miles, 1999, stock clutch. I'm not going over 400 hp so, that isnt a problem.

Quick Reply: How Much For A Clutch???