Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help- Cant Bolt Up Tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help- Cant Bolt Up Tranny.

I installed my engine, and can't install my transmission in a frame. The engine sits nicely, but the input shaft for the transmission doesnt seem to go all the way in. I looked at it closely, and think that the clutch pusher thing is fully out. I have never dealt with a hydraulic clutch before, and there are no lines hooked up. What would i do to maybe make it bleed back? any help would be greatly appreciated. There is about half inch of space between bellhousing and block.
olly
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bet is the clutch disc & pilot bearing alignment is not on correctly. You need to realign them.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Makes sense. I turned the crank with bungees pulling the tranny toward the block, and it's making egg-shaped patterns. How do i fix this problem? Which bolts? Should i loosen the clutch bolts holding it to the flywheel, then insert transmission, then remove and tighten? any tips at all. thanks so far.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 PM
wrencher

Well a clutch alignment tool is real helpfull here.
If it is a twin disc use an input shaft, only the real thing seems to work in those expensive *** clutch sets. You need to just loosen the pressure plate to the fly wheel. The clutch disc w/ come free, then you use the alignment tool to hold the disc centered over the pilot bearing. Then you bolt the pressure plate back up> evenly. Then the trans should fall right in.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you know where to get one? napa? autozone? i don't want to wait for an order to come in...
thanks in advance
olly
Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

OR could i just remove the bellhousing from the gearbox, then loosen the clutch ~ flywheel bolts, ram it home, then torque the bolts up?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 PM
wrencher

You can ask, I can remeber the exact part #. If you want you can use your input shaft from your trans. You have to get some gasket maker & torque the trans front case bolts back up. Just be sure to put it back exactly how it came apart, it is pretty simple.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
OR could i just remove the bellhousing from the gearbox, then loosen the clutch ~ flywheel bolts, ram it home, then torque the bolts up?
You shoule install the bell to the block, Then the trans to the bell. Dont force anything w/ bolts it will F something up , seen it b-4. Their is only one option properly pre-align the clutch disc. The trans alone would prolly not align it to well, never tried tat, might be alitle tight to do that even w/o the bellhousing in there.
It is important to also evenly loosen & tighten the pressure plate bolts. Each one in a circular pattern like 1-2 turns at a time. Not good to unload the diaphram spring by loosing the bolts all the way real fast/uneven.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent. Right now i've got the bellhousing bolted to the engine. I figured it'd be easier to put trans to bellhousing, just to get the spline in. My old 3 speed was not this hard, and i did not want to destroy the pilot bearing by forcing anything. So what i do now is, unbolt my bellhousing; set aside. un-torque the bolts securing the clutch unit to the flywheel, evenly loosening it. I've got a load leveler tied to my transmission hanging from an engine hoist, because i got tired of carrying it, so i get it level, and insert it being carefull to not put much lateral force on the input shaft. then i re-torque the bolts i loosened, then remove the transmission. Then i re-bolt the bellhousing to the block, then the tranny to the housing. sound right? what do i need the gasket sealer for? i saw no gasket on there before... did you mean in between bellhousing and transmission to keep water, etc out? Do you have torque specifications for the flywheel? I don't want to worry about it.
thanks a lot
olly
Old 09-22-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

the first time i did a clutch swap i had the same problem i just got longer bolts and pulled it in. the second time it went right in. make sure the clutch disc is lined up perfect. when tightening the pressure plate hold the disc centered. that helps.

Quick Reply: Help- Cant Bolt Up Tranny.