Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

'00 M6 TA - Shifter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '00 M6 TA - Shifter Problems

I just got my TA this week and have had a few problems with the shifter. First off, the shift **** AND shaft rotate at least 45 degrees in either direction. I'm sure it will turn more, I am just afraid to try. I also frequently have trouble putting it in gear, mainly 1st & 2nd. When I move it towards first, it feels like it's going past two "notches". You push it up and it feels like it's in gear, but then have to push it further past another "notch" and then it's in gear. 2nd is the same way. Other gears are slightly "rougher" than I am used to.

I don't know for sure that it's an aftermarket shifter, but I believe it is. The shift **** has the letter H on the top of it. The shift boot looks as though the shifter has been shortened, but I don't know the stock height for this car.

Any ideas / suggestions?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

He coulda just added a short stick and shift *** to it. Doesn't mean its an aftermarket shifter. The only way to find out is to pop off the center counsel. As far as the shifting goes.....is this all the time? I notice my car will do that a lil when its cold. How many miles are on the car??
Old 09-24-2005, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by komik
I just got my TA this week and have had a few problems with the shifter. First off, the shift **** AND shaft rotate at least 45 degrees in either direction. I'm sure it will turn more, I am just afraid to try. I also frequently have trouble putting it in gear, mainly 1st & 2nd. When I move it towards first, it feels like it's going past two "notches". You push it up and it feels like it's in gear, but then have to push it further past another "notch" and then it's in gear. 2nd is the same way. Other gears are slightly "rougher" than I am used to.

I don't know for sure that it's an aftermarket shifter, but I believe it is. The shift **** has the letter H on the top of it. The shift boot looks as though the shifter has been shortened, but I don't know the stock height for this car.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Before worrying about the tranny itself, make sure all the bolts on the shifter itself are tight. Our shifters are notorious to loosening bolts in the shifter, giving it a VERY sloppy feeling. Is that the feeling you're getting? If so, try taking your left hand and grabbing as far down on the base of the stick(into the boot), and try wiggling the top of the shifter. If it's got play between your hands, it's probably a loose bolt there. Our shifters have sticks that attach to the shifter mechanism.

here's the bolts i think "might" be loose, causing your problem.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Y2K SS
...As far as the shifting goes.....is this all the time?...How many miles are on the car??
Yes, it does it all the time. The car has 95K on the clock.

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
...here's the bolts i think "might" be loose, causing your problem...
That looks about right. I'll have to check those once the weather clears up.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

If its an aftermarket shifter... the bolts we're talking about are the ones under the boot on the front and rear of the base. It controls how far the shifter goes.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Visualy your car looks like its in good condition. Did you test drive your car prior to buying it? If so, did you voice your concern about the shifter at that point and what did they tell you? I def. don't think that you have an after market shifter, looking at you pics. That is a very tall stick. I think its just a shift ****. It may be though, someone just added a longer stick (why would you do that?) Bolts being loose on the stick would not allow it to rotate 45% left or right, just front to back. Or am I missing something?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your shifter looks bone stock from the pics. The T56 in not very smooth to shift. Sometimes I have trouble getting into first when I come to a stop. I have to shift into second, then first gear. Are you sure the actual shaft is rotating or just the ****?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Teching In

i am having the same problem with the shifter **** rotating, i took it apart and came to the conclusion that there are 2 pieces to the shifter stick connection, if you undo the 2 bolts and look at the stick you'll see that there is some sort of rubber bushing probably meant to soften hard shifts, this is what is worn and is allowing the stick to rotate. I went to the dealer and asked how much it would cost for this part and they said 125 bucks, so i guess i can live with it!
Old 09-25-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

125?!? I will give you mine, better yet, get on ebay and do a search on t56 and buy custome short stick for around 30 bucks. Just the stick alone with out the rubber bushing makes a huge difference.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the shifter apart yesterday and found out why the shaft rotates, there's nothing to keep it from doing so. The two bolts weren't the problem. Here is what I found:

The base of the shaft fits inside of this:

It is held in place by friction, and not very much at that. The shaft can be removed with little force by simply pulling up on it, no tools required. This may be what BlackTAWS6 is referring to as well.

NLinnear, are you saying that the T56 is known for being difficult?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:56 AM
9 Second Club

It's the shitty stock shifter dude, nothing wrong with your tranny. Put a Pro 5.0 shifter w/ a UMI or Lou's short stick.....trust me, you'll LOVE it!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote for the Pro 5.0
Old 09-25-2005, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The notchy feeling is pretty common or at least I have found. I missed a 1st to second shift at the track and mine was just as you described, this could have happened to yours at one time.

The Pro 5.0 will really help it feel smoother, it will also help reduce the chance of missing a gear. If you don't want to to fork out the money at this time the short stick below will take care of the handle moving and shorten your shifts up making it much easier to get into gear. Also the H means its a factory Hurst shifter.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2105.aspx

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 09-25-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to fork over the $125 the dealer wants for the stock shifter handle, get a short stick, I got mine from Byunspeed (UMI stick) $26, that and the factory Hurst is (for me) the perfect combo
Old 09-25-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys. The UMI stick seems like a great investment for the meantime. I may look into getting the Pro 5.0 later on. There are still a few things I have to get fixed (turn signal, air conditioning, rear end, etc) before I start buying "fun" parts. How hard is it to install the Pro 5.0? (I have a couple years experience in car repair)
Old 09-25-2005, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

there's a write up on shifter install there. It's a 30-45min install. good for beginners!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me an hour to install a new shifter, the toughest part is removing the console, install university has a write up on how to do it, an afternoon should be well enough time
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That install looks pretty easy. I think the most difficult part will be getting the shift **** off the stock stick. Maybe if I hold the stick in place with some 2x4's and a C-clamp...
Old 09-25-2005, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

you're thinking too in depth. just put the stocker in a table vise, and twist!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
...The short stick below will take care of the handle moving and shorten your shifts up making it much easier to get into gear.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2105.aspx

Hope that helps!
Ryan
I ordered it on Monday and it came in today. I just installed it and took it for a test drive. It makes a HUGE difference. I can actually find all the gears now! No more looking like an idiot revving my engine and holding up traffic at green lights searching for 1st.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: '00 M6 TA - Shifter Problems