Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch in, now car wont go into gear :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch in, now car wont go into gear :(

I just put my new clutch in, now the damn thing wont go into gear. the instructions say I need a shim, but I didn't get any shims with my ram Powergrip. Will an adjustable master cylinder fix this damn problem?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
I just put my new clutch in, now the damn thing wont go into gear. the instructions say I need a shim, but I didn't get any shims with my ram Powergrip. Will an adjustable master cylinder fix this damn problem?
I haven't needed a shim since I installed my adjustable master. Works great.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
I just had the same clutch installed in my 2000 SS and had the same issue. Lucky for me I payed to have it put in because I currently live in an apartment. There are a few options.

1. I ordered my ram clutch through Summit and after getting in touch with them about the issue, they directed my call to Ram. Ram sent me shims for free.

2. Before I got the shims, i had it out with the mechanic because the work he did was crap. I made him take another look at the car. He fixed the issue by bleeding the system right at the master cylinder...so he says. The car does work now but the clutch disengages about 1/2 an inch off the floor.

3. The Adjustable master is supposed to be great. The cheapest I can find it is for $300.

If you get it cheaper let me know where. But for the time being, if the car is undriveable try bleeding the system more. It should help.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you mess with the hydraulics during the clutch install (new slave, drill mod, etc)? I've had this issue before and it turned out to be air in the hydraulics even though I was positive I had all the air out the first time. I bled it a different way and suddenly I could get it into gear.

I would not recommend buying a mcleod master cylinder. Mine crapped out on me within a week.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Teching In

After bench bleeding the master, the clutch worked for about three days then stopped working. A talked to Ram again and I was told the slave cylinder spacer which is .150" will fix the problem. I asked him about the adjustable master cylinder, one of which they sell, and he said it wouldn't help. Most adjustable masters will help the most if you are disengaging the clutch high.

I was assured by the people at ram that the shim, they sent it to me free, will fix the problem. Just to be sure, I am putting in the GM performance slave. I got it for about $103 from Summit.

I will keep everyone posted if this works.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Ok Here is my final update. The slave shim has been installed with a new GM performance Slave and the car has never driven better. I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

when you changed your clutch the first time, did you change your slave?

Quick Reply: New clutch in, now car wont go into gear :(