Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bolting Transmission back up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolting Transmission back up.

Ok so i tossed in a new clutch. Bolted up the bellhousing and aligned it all with a tool. Now i cant get the damn transmission on all the way for the life of me. It'll go in until the Slave/TO bearing hits the Pressure plate and then it wont go in anymore. Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:50 PM
wrencher

Take the trans out & realign the clutch disc.
It must be off a little to the pilot bearing.
Is it a twin disc clutch? I use a real input shaft, those plastic POS dont work in those cases.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Launching!

It's the textralia clutch. It comes with a plastic one. So what do ya think?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you push the slave in with your hand? If the slave is full of fluid and the line is unhooked you wouldn't be able to push it back. If it's a new slave it comes with the piston pushed back so it wouldn't be any problem.

Also try putting the transmission in gear and rotating the output shaft just in case the splines aren't lined up. And like wrencher said make sure the clutch is lined up right. I've used the plastic tool several times and not had a problem though.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Launching!

well the distance i have left between the transmission and the bellhousing is about the same distance between the Slave being fully compressed and fully extended. Also i already introduced fluid into the slave and tried opening the bleeder and compressing it but its too hard. My next step is to take the slave off and try to mate it all together. If i get it in, then the problem is compressing the slave to get it in. If not then my alignment is off. Sound like a good plan? or is there a faster way of checking this?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with the other fellows. Any time I pull a T56, I always leave it in 1st or 2nd gear. This allows you to spin the tail shaft a little to mesh the splines of the input shaft to the clutch disc. I use a universal clutch alignment tool with every possible size pilot bushing size and I have never had a problem with it. The key to this job is to make sure the disc is perfectly aligned. Unfortunately I have become too fluent with the tranny pulling and refitting. I had the tranny out of my bro-in-laws 99SS about 6 times.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:30 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by Bluehawk27
It's the textralia clutch. It comes with a plastic one. So what do ya think?
Is it a tex twin disc?
I'm telling ya seen that problem b-4 using the plastic aligment tool on twin disc clutches.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Launching!

nope, its a single disc
Old 09-29-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the EXACT SAME THING!
what you do is.. its not the clutch alignment as everyone said. Release your clutch bleed slave cylinder thing, and use the tranny/bellhousing/engine bolts to pull her in, EVENLY. fluid squirted out as pressure was relieved, and it worked perfectly. MAKE SURE THE INPUT SHAFT SPLINES ARE ENGAGED! if it's touching the clutch diaphram spring, it should be engaged. You don't wanna blow out your pilot bearing. I spent 6 hours figuring the damn thing out, bought a tool, got the alignment right, then i took off the t/o bearing, and she slid in with an inch to go, so although i was scared, i eased her in using torque, and it worked perfectly.
good luck!
olly
Old 09-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Well i finally got her in with the textralia, and drove her around. The alignment was slightly off cuz those plastic tools suck. And Pete at textralia was awesome! Great customer service. After that then i did what 67RS just suggested. Worked like a charm. Just tighten down evenly, go slow and make sure its all going in even.
Alberto
Old 09-30-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great stuff Alberto....

Pete.