Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Centerforce DFX Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Centerforce DFX Clutch

I just had a new DFX clutch from Centerforce put into my 01 Z28. It's been out a little while, but just hit their website. I used a new Centerforce billet steel flywheel. The clutch disc is a 6 puck design. I've only driven it a couple of days. It has a very slight chatter, but it's not broken in yet. It's also a little more on and off than the stock LS6 clutch I had, but I like the feeling. I can't wait to get it broken in so I can see how it works at the track.

I had AZ Dynochip put it in, they did a great job. Keith worked for GM and knows a good way to get rid of the air when you bleed the slave. Peddle is hard and the clutch engages about half way up. Also, a big thanks to Will Baty of Centerforce, he's really helped me out a lot. Thanks! I'll post again after I've broken it in.
Attached Thumbnails New Centerforce DFX Clutch-dfx-clutch-disc.jpg   New Centerforce DFX Clutch-flywheel.jpg   New Centerforce DFX Clutch-pressure-plate.jpg   New Centerforce DFX Clutch-clutch-parts-layed-out.jpg  
Old 10-01-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some photos of the install. I did the clutch on my son's 94 Z28 about 2 years ago. I spent 3 days under that car and couldn't move my arms for a week. I'm getting too old to lay under a car so this time I had AZ Dynochip do it and it was well worth the money! I'd highly recommend them to anyone in the Phoenix area (they are in West Chandler).
Attached Thumbnails New Centerforce DFX Clutch-flywheel-installed.jpg   New Centerforce DFX Clutch-disc-installed.jpg   New Centerforce DFX Clutch-pressure-plate-installed.jpg   New Centerforce DFX Clutch-bellhousing-installed.jpg   New Centerforce DFX Clutch-new-slave-installed.jpg  

Old 10-01-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Junkie

man I did not even know that centerforce made anything else for our cars except the dual friction, let us know how it goes as time goes on.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My initial impressions is that thing is going to grab good. Still have 420 miles left for the break-in.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got more miles on the clutch now. The chatter is almost 100% gone. I really like the feel. A little more off/on than a stocker, and a little stiffer. But, let's be honest, the stocker feels so wimpy! Anyway, I've nailed it a few times and this thing really grabs. I love the feeling. I wonder how long my 10 bolt is going to last. Maybe I should order a Strange 12 bolt now and store it until the 10 bolt breaks so I'm not out of a car. Anyway, try this DFX clutch from Centerforce!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

heres a question no ones asked how much??
Old 10-10-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
heres a question no ones asked how much??
Since this clutch just hit the Centerforce website, I'll let Will Baty of Centerforce answer this question.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I went to Speedworld this last weekend. It's the first time I've run with the new DFX clutch. It worked great. Speedworld has a lot better traction than Firebird. I was launching at 3500 and should have gone up to 4000 and that's on street tires. The clutch grabbed great and I could modulate it to get it to slip some to help my launch. I didn't have any trouble shifting at 6500 rpm. The real plus is the chattering got a lot better after ragging on it.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by glennhl
Well, I went to Speedworld this last weekend. It's the first time I've run with the new DFX clutch. It worked great. Speedworld has a lot better traction than Firebird. I was launching at 3500 and should have gone up to 4000 and that's on street tires. The clutch grabbed great and I could modulate it to get it to slip some to help my launch. I didn't have any trouble shifting at 6500 rpm. The real plus is the chattering got a lot better after ragging on it.
Sweet.......how did it help your times?

I had the dual friction and it started to slip on me pretty bad! My car would bog hard off the line and had serious burnt smells coming from the clutch ahfter each run! I got a Mcleod twin disc now! Hope it works well.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I only ran three times, 13.03 @ 111.8; 12.92 @ 112.3; & 12.93 at 112.7. This about 2 tenths and 1 mph off my best with the old Z06 clutch. However, if I hot lapped the Z06 it would slip badly. Plus it was a hotter day (old best was on a very cold night). The flywheel is heavier than the stocker (29 versus 24 pounds), so I need to get a new rearend to take advantage of the heavier flywheel during launching. I'm still running 2.0X's for 60 foot time on street tires. I did hot lap it the first two runs and it did great.

I can't wait to get a 12 bolt, some Drag Radials and then go to town!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you use stock flywheel? I have a GM SS 02 flywheel with about 10k miles on it
Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, Centerforce said I could use the stock flywheel, but they said you have to get it balanced after you have it resurfaced. I went with the heavier one because it was SFI rated. Plus, once I get a 12 bolt, it will launch much better.

Quick Reply: New Centerforce DFX Clutch