Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Check engine- Will not shift into 4th [DSM M5 not LS1 M6]

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine- Will not shift into 4th [Eclipse M5 not LS1 M6]

If this is the wrong forum to ask then just delete this thread. I figured you guys could help me to identify a problem with my friends car. Her late model (2001 I believe) Eclipse GS M5 "broke" today. The "check engine" light apparently came on and she could not shift into 4th but could shift down to 3rd. It was not running smoothly.

I had not got a chance to look at it. She just purchased this car used not long ago, and it seemed to be in perfect condition. I was just wondering what you guys think may be wrong. I do not know any more details about the car's history or what happened (I was told the problem over txt messages).

Last edited by DanSSull; 10-04-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does it do? grind or what? and I believe after 99....they were no longer dsms...... atleast they lacked the goods to be a dsm. has she gotten the code read yet? the code and her being able to shift might not even be connected.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
what does it do? grind or what? and I believe after 99....they were no longer dsms...... atleast they lacked the goods to be a dsm. has she gotten the code read yet? the code and her being able to shift might not even be connected.

yea, 98 was the last year for the Talon and 99 was the last for the turbo eclipse, after that they were only mitsubishi's.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I corrected it in my post, sorry about the title though.

As said I haven't heard much, I do not know if it is grinding but I will ask now. Sorry to seem so well dumb, I do actually know more then I come off as knowing. She has not got the code read yet, she wants to go to Auto zone to get it checked out. I figured a lot of people here can help, thanks so far though for input. I'll repost when I see if it's grinding when she tries to engauge it or not.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

She said she didn't really know and she would check, so yeah....

Sorry to have wasted time, I will figure it out later. I am willing to bet it isn't anything major, thanks any ways though.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanSSull
She said she didn't really know and she would check, so yeah....

Sorry to have wasted time, I will figure it out later. I am willing to bet it isn't anything major, thanks any ways though.
did she have her foot down on the clutch...applying pressure to disengage it...lol. it its just not going into 4th..syncros..or if it has a short shifter...it wasn't installed properly?