Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

another clutch related question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another clutch related question..

Sorry for bringing up such a redundant topic, but I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out this specific cars problem.

The car is a 98 Z that was showing the typical symptoms everyone has- clutch staying down after 1 1-2 or 2-3 shift- common, no biggie- drill mod and go from there.. However, after doing the drill mod- it got worse. I'd launch, go to shift into second and half the pedal was dead. After playing around with it, it appeared that with a hard run, the slave was collapsing a bit and I had to take that slack up when pushing the clutch in- hence the half pedal, poor release. It wasn't this bad with the restrictor probably because it was holding a bit more pressure against the slave and not letting it collapse as easily. Put a new slave in- spring around it was much stiffer than the one that came out and I thought this was for sure going to solve it. Now- the pedal feels better than ever with less play in it and the car drives fine- BUT the damn thing won't work worth a damn at high rpm's (5500+ going by the stock tach). I can shift it at 5000 all day long with no issues, try shifting at 6000 and the pedal feels stiffer going down, clutch doesn't release all the way and the trans has to be forced out of gear and the pedal pumped one time once the RPM's come back down.

I really think it is a pressure plate thing since it seems RPM related like centrifagul force is screwing with it. I am confident the hydraulics are in perfect working order now and there are no issues there- besides hydraulics wouldn't know RPM's . Anyone have a pressure plate act up at high RPM's causing these symptoms? It has a Luk pressure plate on it, so I am assuming it has been replaced and the clutch works fine for normal driving and even beating on it, but all my thoughts keep pointing to the pressure plate since it is only with high RPM's. Sound familiar to anyone here?

Thanks in advance.
Joe