Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 lasted 20k, but driveability is not good. Is Ram HD a good option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 lasted 20k, but driveability is not good. Is Ram HD a good option?

Right now I'm running a spec 3 with stock hydraulics and a Fidanza flywheel. This setup amazingly lasted nearly 20k miles and is on its last leg. The spec holds great but I've always had a lot of squeeling and chattering and dead stop take-offs can be a bit rough.

I had such good luck with the Spec 3 and will likely go with it again but upgrade to and adjustable master, 01+ slave, new pilot bearing. Are there other parts I need? I've heard guys mention shims...

Would driveability be any better or worse with the RAM HD? I don't mind a heavy pedal feel at all, I'm more concerned with take-off, and squeeling issues. It seems they are fairly comparable clutches in terms of holding power and issues with breaking.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

I have an HD and its been great with no noise at all and a firm pedal BUT if you are concerned about chatter on takeff and you have 3.42's you may not like it.After break in the clutch dosen't chatter but does take attention to leave a stop under normal driving,I love mine but if it was a DD it would get old.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I have ridden im quite a few spec stage 3 cars and driven 2. I would recommend you staying with it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

I had the Spec Stage 3 with Upgraded Master/Slave Cylinder and Drill Mod. I also used the shim inbetween the Bell housing. The pressure for the clutch hurt my leg for the first week. And man did it chatter. But I got use to it, and learned to take off faster and less chatter. Finally I got really use to it and after 7,000 miles it wore out and started slipping. Now I am with a Centerforce and its ok, feels a lot more like stock as far as pressure. I like the Spec because the pressure and feel made me think the car had 500 hp. I would personally perfect the setup with your Spec. Get the new Master/Slave and keep the spec, because if you keep changing brands like me you never get use to anything. I wish I stayed with Spec and seen how long the second one woulda lasted. I've only heard bad things about the RAM HD, not to say its bad, but enough people scream wolf and it makes you wonder..
Old 10-12-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

kapedogg, you will have a better experience with a Spec clutch by going to a stock or billet steel flywheel. I personally have a stock FW for my stage 5 and it is fine.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

I think I'm gonna have to stick with the spec 3. It worked well before and got the job done and I'm used to how to drive with it, so I'll get another one but upgrade the hydraulics. BTW the car isn't my daily driver. I just want to make sure I have everything I need, so here's my list: Spec 3, Adj. Master Cylinder, 01+ Slave Cylinder, New Pilot bearing...What else do I need and where do I get it??? Who has the best prices on this stuff?

Also, it seems there are a couple of different spec 3 models (just found a lightweight aluminum model on MTI's site too), what are the differences, advantages, etc...?

Last edited by kapedogg; 10-12-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NLinnear
kapedogg, you will have a better experience with a Spec clutch by going to a stock or billet steel flywheel. I personally have a stock FW for my stage 5 and it is fine.
What improvement would I see by going with a heavier flywheel?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kapedogg
What improvement would I see by going with a heavier flywheel?
You will reduce the amount of chatter. The lighter flywheel has less enertia and therefore requires greater RPM to launch smoothly. Ofcourse, the motor will not rev as fast with a heavier FW.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Spec III disk and pressure plate in my '01 SS. It has a little heavier feel than the factory (Allegedly "Z06") clutch it replaced, but the biggest drawback is some slight chatter when I let it in slowly. It's nothing drastic, but it is very noticeable.

All in all it doesn't bother me, but it might bother others. I have a Vortech V9G kit on the car, so I had to get something with more holding power than the OEM piece. I am running it with a stock flywheel.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

I have a Spec III disk and pressure plate in my '01 SS. It has a little heavier feel than the factory (Allegedly "Z06") clutch it replaced, but the biggest drawback is some slight chatter when I let it in slowly. It's nothing drastic, but it is very noticeable.

All in all it doesn't bother me, but it might bother others. I have a Vortech V9G kit on the car, so I had to get something with more holding power than the OEM piece. I am running it with a stock flywheel. I have a Mcleod adustable master and have done the drill mod on the line. My slave was already the "good" one as the car is an '01.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds good guys, any recommendations on which spec 3 model to get and where to find the best prices?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kapedogg
Sounds good guys, any recommendations on which spec 3 model to get and where to find the best prices?

I got mine from Thunder Racing. Not sure if it's the best vendor price wise, but they ship fast and are great folks.

I got the Stage III Kevlar-Carbon, not the ceramic.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Well, spec's website doesn't give much info but after cruising the sponser site I've found the following: The kevlar allows for smoother engagement which I would like, however what do y'all know about how well it holds and how long it lasts in comparison to the carbon ceramic? Also found out that the stage 3+ is a carbon metallic pad along with a stiffer pressure plate. Has anyone tried this clutch yet? Spec's site makes it sound like it holds better and lasts longer and is just as driveable as the regular stage 3. I still don't know the advantage of the lightweight pressure plate???

Last edited by kapedogg; 10-12-2005 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Spec 3 lasted 20k, but driveability is not good. Is Ram HD a good option?