Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broke presure plate bolt, Balance off????!?! Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke presure plate bolt, Balance off????!?! Help please.

Hey everyone I just got done installing my LME 408. when i went to put back in my spec stage 4 clutch i was tightening down the pressure plate bolts to 54 ft lbs, and the VERY last one, i felt a twist than i looked at it, and the head was 1/2 twisted off i flicked it and it fell off, the bolt is still in the flywheel. I than removed all the bolts and put plenty of loc tite on them. it is ghetto i just want this damn build to be over with. but what i wanted to know is that

could the broke bolt cause the flywheel to be off balance. the engine has to be internally balanced it was just built with all good componets. But i do not want to cause damage to my engine, what do you think???

Thanks.

Nick
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will cause more issues with the clamping of the pressure plate than it will with balance. It should be pretty simple to get the rest of that bolt out. Take the flywheel out of the car to make things easier. If you don't want to fool with it just take it to any machine shop, they probably won't charge much.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, i thought that it ould cause more of an issue of the pressure plate backing its self off and my not having any clutch pressure, i dunno i dont really want to drop the tranny again. what do the rest of you think. Thanks speedyws6
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am confused why you would put the trans in *knowing* this was broken and then ask what can go wrong- only to reply with "I really dont want to pull it again". A) why put it together in the first place knowint it was broken and b)- why ask if you don't want to do anything about it?

Please don't take this as an attack, but come on man- you know it is broken- so fix it right and be done with it. It is a problem waiting to happen. You seem to have some decent mods, so why half *** this?
Joe
PS- Oh yeah, the problem won't be the pressure plate backing off as in loosening up- it will be more of a distortion issue.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under no circumstances should you put the clutch back in with a broken PP bolt. I guess you already did though...

Yes, it will cause the assembly to become unbalanced, especially at high RPMs. This can cause harmful vibrations to the tranny, clutch, and engine, prematurely destroying your new 408. Not only that, the PP is now only held on with 5 bolts. During a hard shift at high RPM's that PP can come apart and pretty much destroy your tranny, engine, headers, and underbody, and more. As was said, the PP will be distorted under high pressures because it is not being held in place by that sixth bolt, causing it to bend, crack, and ultimately explode.

Drop the tranny and do it right.