Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Old and new slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Old and new slave cylinder

Who can explain the difference between the 98-00 (old) and the 01-02 (new) slave cylinder?
Apparently there is no difference from outside, how is it inside?

Is the older weaker?

Can't hold the power?

Can't hold stronger than stock clutches?

Leaks? Brakes?

I ask because I always see people suggesting to replace it but I never saw a clear explanation.

I'm worried about this because I'll soon receive a swap kit with a 99 slave and a stage 2 Spec clutch + steel flywheel and I don't know if buy a new slave or give a try to the old one.

A new one costs here about 3 times more than in the US and the crate with the tranny parts is already on the way...
Old 10-14-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok I'll answer the question myself... this will maybe help other people interested in this issue. I made some researches

The outside measurements of the two styles are the same (if not you couln't replace the old one with the new )

It's not a must to replace the hydraulics to be able to install an aftermarket clutch. Not even for a Spec (as I find somewhere).
I asked this directly to the Spec guys.

The seals (both of the master and of the slave cylinder) are the weak point: they can leak, mostly internally and the slave cylinder may move back when you apply on the clutch pedal.
They may not leak during normal operation but during fast shiftings (powershift). This will cause high pressure in the system and the fluid can pass the seals. This explains why the drill mod helps: it reduces the pressure in the master cylinder when you stomp on the clutch pedal.

Feel free to add more info's