Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Speed shifting an M6

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed shifting an M6

When I try speed shifting my M6 I have a problem going from 2 to 3rd. 1st to 2nd is no problem. And going from 2 to 3 without speed shifting is no problem. But going from 2 to 3 it misses every time. Yesterday I tried it and after missing 3rd, the shifter acted like it didn't want to come out of 3rd momentarily. Any suggestions??

Old 10-17-2005, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure if MN6 is the same as a MN12 but check out this thread. I did this mod and before I could never hit the 2-3 ****, After the mod I nailed it on the first try.

This might help: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...374&forum_id=1

Last edited by Bluewire; 10-17-2005 at 12:56 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 10-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Banned

hydraulic fluid getting hung up in the master cylinder on pre '01 cars. the fix for this is called "the drill mod." do a search for it.

if it's not that then just make SURE you have the clutch in ALL the way before letting out.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

I HAVE A 02 CAMARO WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS, CAN'T GET INTO 3RD GEAR, DO I NEED TO GET A McLOED ADJUSTABLE MASTER OR JUST DO THE DRILL MOD??
Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02URPITFUL
I HAVE A 02 CAMARO WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS, CAN'T GET INTO 3RD GEAR, DO I NEED TO GET A McLOED ADJUSTABLE MASTER OR JUST DO THE DRILL MOD??
Do both, you'll love it...
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you have a broken key in the 3/4 slider, a bad slider or the hydraulics could be going bad. Try replacing the fluids first and if that doesn't help or it gets worse you may want to have it checked out. If it is a broken key or bad slider it will get worse. Also, if you have not done the drill mod now is the time to do it.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
It sounds like you have a broken key in the 3/4 slider, a bad slider or the hydraulics could be going bad. Try replacing the fluids first and if that doesn't help or it gets worse you may want to have it checked out. If it is a broken key or bad slider it will get worse. Also, if you have not done the drill mod now is the time to do it.
Yeah sounds like you may need the steel 3-4 shift fork & detents/pads replaced.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
dug
Banned

Do the drill mod before you do anymore damage to the trans.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

It may not be the clutch. I have found that if I over shift there is a "no mans land" area that it get stuck into. It doesn't go in any gear and is stuck. The trans is not in gear and it doesn't grind like it's trying to go into a gear. I've had this happen a few times. The best thing is to learn the 2-3 shift. It only happens when I go too far to the right. Otherwise I can nail it fine. I have the stock non-Hurst shifter too.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GETGONE
It may not be the clutch. I have found that if I over shift there is a "no mans land" area that it get stuck into. It doesn't go in any gear and is stuck. The trans is not in gear and it doesn't grind like it's trying to go into a gear. I've had this happen a few times. The best thing is to learn the 2-3 shift. It only happens when I go too far to the right. Otherwise I can nail it fine. I have the stock non-Hurst shifter too.
Yeah, WTF is that "no mans land" area! My Cobra did the same exact thing, did it once when it was brand new and then I didn't notice it anymore. Then around 11K it started doing it everytime I went to powershift 3rd and I lost all confidence in the car. Pulled the trans and tore it down, didn't find anything obvious, replaced a bunch of parts, put it back together and no more problems.

10SECDWS6, where does your clutch grab? Is it down by the floor or more in the middle or top of the pedel travel? My grandma's bone stock '00TA grabs right off the floor and I can't nail third to save my life. My dad's SS grabs around middle of the travel and is sweet, 53K on the trans with 20K on a stock clutch and I have no issues nailing gears.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

I wish I knew what that dead area is. It freaks me out every time I manage to get it stuck there. Hopefully I'll be buying a new shifter next year and it'll never happen again.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GETGONE
I wish I knew what that dead area is. It freaks me out every time I manage to get it stuck there. Hopefully I'll be buying a new shifter next year and it'll never happen again.
Won't fix it, I had the stock shifter and a Tri-Ax and it did the same thing.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

alot of people have had this happen....It happened to me, twice, BADLY.....I was at the redline in 2nd, went to hit 3rd, and grabbed 1st instead.....shook the hell out of the car, made my head hit the roof. In the end, it cost me a new rear (still under warrenty though ) I just installed an SLP shifter and a WS6Store short stick, under $100 for both. The shifts are now TIGHT and short, and takes a man's right arm to shift. I believe the bad 2-3 shifts are from the plastic and rubber bushings in the stock shifter/stick. After I bang the gears a few more times I'll have a better idea of the swap, but other people say it's a night and day differance over stock parts.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by screamn03
Yeah, WTF is that "no mans land" area! My Cobra did the same exact thing, did it once when it was brand new and then I didn't notice it anymore. Then around 11K it started doing it everytime I went to powershift 3rd and I lost all confidence in the car. Pulled the trans and tore it down, didn't find anything obvious, replaced a bunch of parts, put it back together and no more problems.

10SECDWS6, where does your clutch grab? Is it down by the floor or more in the middle or top of the pedel travel? My grandma's bone stock '00TA grabs right off the floor and I can't nail third to save my life. My dad's SS grabs around middle of the travel and is sweet, 53K on the trans with 20K on a stock clutch and I have no issues nailing gears.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've been asleep for three days

I have a SPEC stage 3 clutch and it grabs towards the top. When I'm speeding shifting into third, its so fast that I don't really know where my clutch is when I shift.

When I'm not speed shifting, but shifting into 3rd very quickly, it doesn't hang up. Goes into 3rd every time. Just when I'm speed shifting.

I might try the drill mod and see if that helps. Thanks!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by screamn03
My grandma's bone stock '00TA grabs right off the floor and I can't nail third to save my life.
grandma's TA?!?! your grandma is badass!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imslow
hydraulic fluid getting hung up in the master cylinder on pre '01 cars. the fix for this is called "the drill mod." do a search for it.

if it's not that then just make SURE you have the clutch in ALL the way before letting out.
is the drill mod still valid on 01 cars? i sometimes have issues speedshifting 3rd (crunching it), but only when going ***** out... if i'm just tooling around on the street and not doing WOT 6k shifts, i can shift fast as hell. no issues with 1-2 or 3-4... just 2-3. i have a pro 5.0, and dont feel as though the doglegging of 2-3 is really that much longer of a movement than the 1-2. i'm also still on the stock clutch (24k on car)

basically my question is whether there is a mechanical reason for this, or if i'm just shifting sloppy because of the adrenaline resulting from being in a racing situation?

Quick Reply: Speed shifting an M6