Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 Issues anyone got any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 Issues anyone got any ideas?

I recently got my car back on the road after having the tranny and rear go kaboom. After about a month of driving it since the rebuild I now am having issues with 2nd gear. It was fine before when it was rebuild I even saw all the parts, we even flipped the gears adn teh syncro's looked good enough not new but good.

It started over the weekend, I got on it in 2nd gear and after that if I shifted into second no matter what speed even at a stop, as I release the clutch the gear grinds and it pops out of gear, if it even goes in. 6th gear tried to do it, but it felt like it wanted to but it held. I cannot shift into gear nor drive with it. Then one teh trip home (was in Milwaukee at the time) it shifted fine no problem, as if there was no issue, no whining no grinding it was like it never happened. Then yesterday I get on it again in 2nd then shift to 3rd and once again its doing it all over again. Anyone have an idea? All gears shift fine, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th all go in no prob. No codes. No issues other then 2nd gear.

To answer a few questions off the bat that I know youare going to ask lol

-Has 1500 miles on it since rebuild
-Clutch has 3000 miles on it, adn it is a McLeod Sintered Iron Twin disk with adjustable master (i did install and yes it is right)
-stock shifter, no short stick or anything.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suspect your clutch release system. Transmissions do not"fix" themselves. Air/ degradation of the release system can produce on and off again probs as you have described.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I figured it out.

This is the deal with my setup. Someone asked me if the shifter bolts were tight. I knew they were but when someone asks me something like that it gets the best of me and I gotta check. Well I took my console apart around the shifter, checked it out and found that the bolts were tight. So I started trouble shooting the shifter it was fine and so was all the linkage. I started to shift into each gear to watch the travel of the tube to the shifter and tranny. I noticed that my second gear and 6th did not have much room in the shifter housing and it was not going into gear. Some how my mount shifted on me. After noticing this i broke out my feeler gauges and measured out equal spacing on all shifts. On the right side of the mount there is 2 torx bolts in oblonged rubber grommets for adjusting the position of the houseing. After adjusting the housing I have not had teh problem since. I drove my car up to Milwaukee for a wedding (450 miles) and back and to work last week and have not had the problem since. Glad i checked that before i took it out again and sent it to get looked into again. May have did some damage to my syncro or gear from it doign that but I have not had any issues yet. So I will leave it alone till it breaks Again.

Quick Reply: M6 Issues anyone got any ideas?