Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

quick and easy bell housing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick and easy bell housing question

i am jsut wondering if the bell housing can be removed from the MM6 transmission while it ist still attached to the car, eg remove in two parts, first the transmission then the bell housing

makes transmission work alot easier if you can, i havent worked on my tranny yet but i am very soon going to install a new clutch, so im asking now before i get in the down and dirty, so i know what kind of job to expect
Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 PM
wrencher

That is the way it is done on F-bodies. First the trans, then the bellhousing. It would be real difficult to get to all the bellhousing bolts w/the trans in place.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Here is how i've done it:

Remove the console, shifter ****, shifter stick, the rubber piece below that the keeps the elements out of the car. Then Remove the 4 bolts that holds the base of the shifter to the tranny and stuff a rag in that hole.

Then remove the exhaust, the tunnel brace, driveshaft, undo the torque arm from the tranny, I keep the torque arm on the rear end and move it off to the side (it keeps the rear from slipping upwards and if you do it right you can keep it attached),. Then brace the tranny with the jack remove the tranny cross memeber. Undo the trany to bell housing bolts, pull the tranny then remove the bellhousing to motor bolts and pull that aswell.

Cliff notes: Yes, you can remove them in 2 pieces.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

thanks
i have the GM tech manuals, they seem to say to release it all as one peice, thats why i was wondering...thanks for settling my fears, hehe

Quick Reply: quick and easy bell housing question