Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Powershifting??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powershifting??

I get the concept of it, but is it literally just slamming the gear out and into another one??Harder on the rear?? I'm going to the track tonight, and might try this, but i have 400 hp at the rear and on a stock 10 bolt. Will powershifting be good or bad??
Old 11-06-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

driving hard on the rear with stokc power is hard..let alone powershifting with 400rwhp. its basically getting to redline/where your shifting...keeping it floored...and then dipping into the clutch real fast(while staying floored) and select the next gear and let the clutch up.....while keep the gas down the whole time. I've done it once..and my car went sidesways from lackm of traction...and its stock..so you may want to wait till 3rd/4th gear.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Be careful! When executed wrong PS'ing will lead to a broke tranny. I learned that from experience and will only sometimes do it on the 3-4 shift.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if you hit the wrong gear you could do some valvetrain damage. Mainly bent pushrods from mechanical overrevving.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Launching!

powershifting is what you do when you steal a car and run from the cops, or your driving a rental.. otherwise...you might be good at powershifting, but eventually your going to screw up a shift and its going to cost you. in my opinion, its fun, but its hell on the drivedrain, and on the street it just seems to cause me to bake tires on the 1-2 shift...so in my opinion...its not worth it
Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Teching In

not sure about going sideways......i drive on ET drags and run a Spec 3, powershift at least once a day on the way to work......mainly for practice, took me awhile to get the 2-3 down....anyways on the ET drags 1-2 gives me a quick bark and thats it, stays dead straight......2-3 quick bark, and 3-4 i dont think breaks loose, if it does its soo fast and quiet i cant here it (since the car is now well over 100mph and 6000rms) I was told that powershifting is not as hard on the rear as you would think, it is much harder dropping the clutch from 3k from a stop, the PS from 6k, the way it was explained to me (from the guy who will be building me 9inch, im still stock 10bolt) was the sudden shot from a stopped vehicle (over 3300lbs) is hell, but when u are powershift, the rearend is already moving quite fast and the car is already moving....so its only increasing the force slightly, he said it was much harder on the trans with my spec 3, but with moderate powerlevels even that wasnt a big deal.......just dont miss if a 2-3 shift turns into a 2-1 shift, you could be in trouble, and im not a bragger, i sure as hell did that trying to learn, i thought my car blew up, it was so loud, the rearend was hopping in the air, im sure it looked like the car was bagged, traction engaged (even with the switch off the car new something was bad) even worse it took me a second to realize what i did so i hopped along for a good 2-3secs like that....slammed my clutch back in and somehow didnt break anything, car is still fin 15k mi after......but if u are going to a track.....u gotta do it, i ran a 13.5 when it was stock not powershifting (i couldnt do it well), ran 13.4-13.6, my friend took it down the track PS 12.98, once i got it down i ran a 13.0, then with the DR and the new clutch it went 12.89 (just for ***** and giggles, i shifted normal again same day 13.4 again) so practice if u wanna run fast......i know this was long sorry....one last thing......if a ricer is messing around acting tough and he hears/sees your car breakem loose shifting (especially on street tires it seems if u go sideways)they will more the likely understand and dis-engage (ricer understand is an oxymoron i know)
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fast a precise normal shifting can be just as fast and safer than powershifting.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not worth the minimal gian
Old 11-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Banned

If by gain you mean an easy .1-.2 sec and 1-2 mph I guess you're right. NOT.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ps'ing....You have to be damn sure that you are getting it into the gate when going 2-3rd. I have the billet plus hurst shifter, and it seems a little bit tougher when trying to do it, so finally i just gave up. how does everyone elses compare to that? I think that just the way the shifter sits has alot to do with it. I mean I totally could understand that the Lou's SS users would not have this kind of problem. But the hurst B+ has a huge *** stick attached to it...
Old 11-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Teching In

i agree that the hurst is a bit stiff.. the best way i found was not too grab the know but just actually push it strait up with you hand open and it will do its thing thats the only way i could put it off with my set up
Old 11-09-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not worth it to me.