Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch or Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or Tranny

Scenario:
I ran the car at the 1/4 mile and at the end of the run I stopped to add air to the tires. When I went to moved the car I had no gears at all. I let the car sit for about 10 mins and then I could shift and drove home fine. The next time I got in the car I noticed reverse was impossible to get into. I took it out Saturday and the reverse problem did not go away (not that I thought it would, but I was hoping).

History
First the clutch starting having that soft pedal feel so I replaced that a few months back with the RPS clutch.

The car ran great for a bit, but at the track I started to experience problems with shifting from 1st to 2nd after about the 3rd trip down the quarter mile. I thought it was me so I continued to drive it.

There were no problems with shifting at all during normal driving, but about 2 weeks ago having fun on a highway doing some rolling starts I noticed I had problems shifting 3rd to 4th under high rpms. I missed 4th a few times or it was hard to get into gear again this was only during high rpms.

I thought it may be the C6 shifter so I swapped that out for the Hurst. Yeah the problem from 1st - 2nd and 3rd - 4th seemed to be better. I went to the 1/4 track 2 times and could shift without missing a gear (the 2nd time is the time I got the real problem mentioned above and it was the last run of the night).

As mentioned above it is now almost impossible to get the car into reverse and 1st gear is not that easy either. When the car is moving all the gears seem to be ok, but stopped I need to force somewhat push it into gear and reverse takes a ton of work (basically reverse is locked out and then after a few tries and some convincing it will go in). When the car is not running I can easily go in and out of all gears including reverse.

anything I should check to maybe confirm what it maybe. Right now I am leaning towards the tranny as the issue. I know the 01s (C5) had aluminum shift forks so maybe one is bent or the syncros maybe shot.

thanks