Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls1 to muncie 4 speed with a clutch fork & slave!?

Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 to muncie 4 speed with a clutch fork & slave!?

Hey guys, Drove home after work this friday, yanked out my tpi 350 and I thought i've done enough research and parts collecting to swap this lq9 right in.
The issue i'm having is i'm running an older style muncie sm465 4 speed toploader tranny in my '72 Blazer.
I put my 10 spline clutch in between the ls1 flywheel and pressure plate to see what i'd come up with, and when i put on the bellhousing and fork something was obviously not right..
My old fork and throwout bearing won't work, its pushed all the way in..
A rough measurement with calipers at 1AM showed my tpi Gen I motor is about 1.65" or 42mm ish from the block (where the bellhousing bolts) to the flywheel surface where the pressure plate bolts to.
The 6.0 Gen III motor is about .90" or 23mm ish from block to flywheel..
..Umm.. i didn't realize they were like 3/4" difference there.

So now wtf do i do to make this work with a clutch fork!? fab'ing a slave cylinder bracket is the least of my worries at this point.
Anyone here put a muncie 4 speed or similar behind an LS1 with a clutch fork and slave cylinder?
Searching some past threads i found a GM pilot bearing # 12557583 that will stick out longer to support and old style muncie tranny input shaft?
-Is there a custom throwout bearing spaced 3/4 thicker for this application!?
-I was kicking around the idea of spacing the pivot ball stud for the fork that 3/4 inch or so, but the forces would be like twice as much on it. so it doesn't seem like a great idea. What do you guys think?!?

Please help me with my swap this weekend! Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Old 11-13-2005, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call school of automotive machinists in texas (713)683-3817 they did a big article on the ls1 and the manual 4 speed you did. all worked great for them. i think the guy is named judson massingill,boy what a last name this is all the help i can give. goodluck ta ya.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls1 to muncie 4 speed with a clutch fork & slave!?