Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd to 2nd downshift problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3rd to 2nd downshift problem

so i mentioned this in another thread, figured i had better start a new one to get some feedback on this issue.

i just bought my first f-body today. a 2001 M6 Z28. car has 70,000 miles and runs great. only problem is, when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, it will rarely ever go. i ussually have to rev the hell out of it before it will drop into 2nd. also, when sitting at an idle, it will sometimes not want to go into 2nd as well. this seems like an issue with the clutch to me, but the clutch is not slipping, not chattering and seems to be in general good working order.

my take on this is that maybe at low engine speeds there is not enough centrifigal (sp?) force on the clutch to properly seperate the clutch and flywheel due to weak springs. hence, when i rev it, there is additional centrifigal force from the higher engine speed and the clutch seperates an adequate amount to allow the downshift. does this even make sense? if so, is the only way to fix this with a new clutch? thanks!!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like the syncros on your 2nd gear are worn
You rev the hell out of it going from 3rd to 2nd, and you find the rev match that lets the gears mesh correctly.
Then when you are at idle it's the same thing if it does it again at idle put it in neutral, and let the clutch out, then see if it goes in.
The way to fix it is to replace the 2nd gear syncros (requires trans disassembly)
Old 11-20-2005, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have any idea what something like that would cost? i would not want to even think about attempting that lol should i continue to drive the car or will it be ok for now? thanks!

Quick Reply: 3rd to 2nd downshift problem