Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6spd tranny dead @50k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6spd tranny dead @50k miles

I have a 2000 trans am, still kinda new to the ls1 scene so im not sure what to look for in a situation like this. My car has 50,000 miles, intake, full exhaust (headers,ypipe,borla) and a cam, with a stock clutch. I had no previous signs of clutch slippage or any tranny issues. i drove my car 400 miles to visit family, all highway miles cruising in 6th gear, no getting on it. On the way home, i was cruising in 6 gear again, no racing, then it popped outta gear, it would go back into gear, but when i let out the clutch it would grind like hell. When i came to a complete stop, it goes into every gear i can crawl in first gear but when i get past around 1800rpms it grinds like hell. any ideas? I am at a loss!!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

That might be your clutch as the tranny goes in all gears. I would take a look and see if their are shavings from the clutch in the bellhousing. Mine exploded while i was on it made a mess of things but i heard it, and sounded like a whole buch of springs bouncing around (mercil springs being thrown around) and made a big pop kinda. Take a look, the clutch probibly came apart. I also had no signs of slipping or anything it just went.

edit: re reading you post im thinkin their might be something wrong with the tranny but hey take a look at the clutch anyway, it easy to do and takes little time.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Check your u-joints, my tranny ( HD PU trans) did some strange grinding and was diff to get into gear when my u joints went bad, I changed my u joints on advice from my father and I was relieved to spend a paltry 40$ to fix the problem after the idiots at the clutch shop told me 750$ to replace the clutch.
Good luck
Brian G
Old 11-29-2005, 09:34 PM
wrencher

Stock clutches have been known to break the hubs & cause wierd problems like you describe. Does the shifter feel normal in all gears? Or is it popping out & grinding?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Teching In

yeah, grinding like hell.. and it pops out....
Old 12-04-2005, 11:39 AM
wrencher

Originally Posted by OneFastGST
yeah, grinding like hell.. and it pops out....
Is that all gears or just one gear though?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fluid in the tranny. Remove the drain plug and let a bit of fluid out. If it look highly metalic and black, then you may have burned up/wore out the shift forks. The forks along with the syncro assemby is what actually shifts the car between gears. If you run low on fluid or the fluid gets contaminated somehow, the fork wears and then you cant fully push the engagement collar over the syncro and onto the next gear. Forks arent too bad to replace, but if low fluid/foreign objects are involved then the syncros are likely to be worn out as well.