On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think ???
Old 11-29-2005, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
did u buy the billet sliders? if not then i believe those are ur problem
are the sliders the lttle pieces on the shift fork . that from the factory are plastic, if they are what is the gm part number for those.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:13 AM
On The Tree

I dont know do aney one have pic ?!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

mine did the same thing last summer.mine was the synchro keepers that hold in the snap rings.time to open it up.they now have them in tool steel.mine are the stamped stockers
Old 11-29-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a shift key problem. time to open her up i suppose
Old 11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of mis- info here.
-First ,you have most likely over-extended the sleeve(slider) and popped the struts( keys, keepers) out of position and this locks it into 3rd or 4th( depending on which gear you over extend the sleeve. The likely reason is that when you rebuilt the unit you did not re-shim/ check the shim at the input gear. This would allow too much travel of the 3/4 synchronizer sleeve( if there was too little shim). It is also possible the you have excess wear of the shift fork pads - this would have the same affect of added / excessive travel.
-There is no such thing as a fiber synchronizer. There is a carbon -particle lined blocker ring.( for each i-6 position). These are commonly mis-labelled carbon fiber.
- The original struts are a stamped steel piece. There are stronger machined-from -solid aftermarket parts ( billet)to replace them( 3/4 synchro) There are some powdered-metal solid struts from the Corvette T56 for the 1/2 synchro.
-The struts interface with the synchronizer springs ( not snap rings)
- The std. fork pads ( not sliders) are plastic ( engineered nylon composite) . Ther are stronger aftermarket pads that are machied( not molded) but must be epoxied in place.
While it is great to try and help, spewing half -baked mis -information will do exactly the oposite.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calhoon
Alot of mis- info here.
-First ,you have most likely over-extended the sleeve(slider) and popped the struts( keys, keepers) out of position and this locks it into 3rd or 4th( depending on which gear you over extend the sleeve. The likely reason is that when you rebuilt the unit you did not re-shim/ check the shim at the input gear. This would allow too much travel of the 3/4 synchronizer sleeve( if there was too little shim). It is also possible the you have excess wear of the shift fork pads - this would have the same affect of added / excessive travel.
-There is no such thing as a fiber synchronizer. There is a carbon -particle lined blocker ring.( for each i-6 position). These are commonly mis-labelled carbon fiber.
- The original struts are a stamped steel piece. There are stronger machined-from -solid aftermarket parts ( billet)to replace them( 3/4 synchro) There are some powdered-metal solid struts from the Corvette T56 for the 1/2 synchro.
- The std. fork pads ( not sliders) are plastic ( engineered nylon composite) . Ther are stronger aftermarket pads that are machied( not molded) but must be epoxied in place.
While it is great to try and help, spewing half -baked mis -information will do exactly the oposite.
you are righte and its locked in the 4th

what to do my friend how to do re-shim it ??!! help me i rebelt for 5 time today

Last edited by camaro_SS_81; 11-30-2005 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

what to do hellp
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will have to get into the box to get it fixed( or shimmed). There are many sources to help you properly rebuild this . Get a manual( free on line) ands pursue the step -by- step posts available. Shimming is not too tough to do. If you have excessive play in the input( side to side) you have a loose shim condition. Although play is ACTUALLY measured as an in/ out displacement, the side to side play is an indicator without using tools.
Also be sure you have a pilot bearing in good health.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

had same thing happen to me, keys broke, got billit keys, steel fork, and new 3-4 slider asembly and 3rd gear./ works perfect now
Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Alot of mis- info here.
my friend what do i change ??!! help if you have pic my LS1 camaro is in the garage and how rebeld the T56 dont know about it if you can hellp.i did't ande stand what you did say
Old 11-30-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will need to disassemble and check the 3/4 fork pads for wear( you already have an iron fork so thats ok) and change them if they are smeared/ worn/broken. Check the condition of the clutch teeth on the input gear. Ceck the cluych teeth on the synchronizer sleeve( slider) - Change these parts if the teeth are blunted. Re- assemble the trans being sure there is not too much end play at the input gear. It should roll over but not "wobble" as it does so.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

You will need to disassemble and check the 3/4 fork pads for wear( you already have an iron fork so thats ok) and change them if they are smeared/ worn/broken. Check the condition of the clutch teeth on the input gear. Ceck the cluych teeth on the synchronizer sleeve( slider) - Change these parts if the teeth are blunted. Re- assemble the trans being sure there is not too much end play at the input gear. It should roll over but not "wobble" as it does so.
thank's calhoon for the info eyes:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 Wont go Out Of 4th gear "HELP"