Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Abnormal Shifter Resistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abnormal Shifter Resistance

Im really confused on how the shifter in my 99 TA is acting...I've got a B&M shifter and a SPEC stage 4 clutch. If Im at a stand still and want to put the tranny into 1st I push in the clutch and push the shifter over to first but am stopped with almost would feel like a gate, very solid, no way to ever get it into gear even if you put everything you got into it. I kinda pull it back and push it up to first a few times and sometimes have to give a few hundred rpm's to get it to go. I don't really have difficulty upshifting after it is in first although it seems that it has gotten just a little harder(not as big of a problem). Say Im cruising and want to back down a gear, for example 15 mph in 2nd then try to go back down to 1st to hammer it, it really puts up a fight to go into gear. If Im even going 35 and want to hit 2nd and get on the gas It wont let me get back down to second unless i keep fighting the trans and eventually will get it to go down. Its all of a sudden developed this problem and use to be run perfectly. I was possibly thinking the clutch wasnt completely disengaging keeping the tranny from shifting easily. When parked and the motor is off it is easy to throw through all the gears, but once the motor is turned on, is when it starts. By the way, heel-toeing helps little, occassionally have to rev it higher than normally desired to heel-toe. Let me know what you think...Thanks in advance!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your clutch is not fully releasing.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Try adjusting the clutch rod and re-bleeding the hydraulics. I had that problem and I mostly fixed it that way but it still isn't fully releasing.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

My car does that too, but I thought it was just that I needed a rebuild. Im gona try new fluid in the tranny and see how that helps. Usually I have to move the shifter into some other gear before it will go into 1st. If I wasnt so bogged down with college and all I would have this fixed by now.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I too am having the same problem with my 2000 SS. I did the M6 conversion and everything is fine except first gear when the car is not rolling. Any input would be great
Old 12-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Have you checked where the clutch release point is? From a stop give it some gas and slowly release the clutch pedal. How far up off the floor does it start to roll? Mine was starting to release 1/4" off the floor and I had the same issues you mention. Turns out my pressure plat was warped. One difference was that I could shift OK from a stop, but not at higher RPM. Since you are having trouble getting into gear from a stop it would have to be dragging pretty bad.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

same thing here except for the major resistance in 1st from a stop. 2nd also gives me a little grind (with the clutch pushed all the way in) about 25% of the time - that's in normal driving - racing is fine.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

mine used to grind occassionally going into gears but I have not had that happen in a very long time, to be honest maybe since I have been having this problem with the resistance

Quick Reply: Abnormal Shifter Resistance