Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Brand tex clutch, brand new master and slave clutch stopped disengaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand tex clutch, brand new master and slave clutch stopped disengaging

Hi i have about 400 miles on my brand new setup (twin turbo, forged motor, built tranny, text clutch with all new hydraulics) the tranny shifted fine for about 2 weeks. I go to do some tuning last night and now the clutch doesn't disengage at all. If i am moving i can rev match and get the car into gear but if i put the clutch pedal to the floor it just slips and doesn't fully disengage. The clutch has never slipped and still doesn't, the fluid never leaked out, and i never got a chance to beat on the car. The fluid probably got hot but that's it. I tried bleeding it really quick but it didn't make any difference whatsoever. The car looses pedal pressure when running in nuetral and looses almost all pressure if i rev it up to like 5k. I am going to try to bleed it with the mityvac from the resivoir but i doubt it will help. I do not want to pull the tranny. I am thinking i might be able to get it to like a Cottman transmission to see if they can fix it and warranty it.

Greg
Old 12-11-2005, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is really odd. How much pedal did you have compaired to now? Did you let the car cool down and then see if the pedal got any better? This would be a first if it has anything to do with you tuning the car.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Who built the transmission and what Master Cylinder do you have?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had jenning's engineering do the tranny. He did everything from carbon fiber synchro's to the viper mainshaft. I know this is a weird problem and is even weirder that it ran absolutely fine until last night. I just searched all over for my mity vac and can't find it but i don't think the problem is air in the system if it won't disengage at all. If i uplug the hydrualic line i can't move the pedal so i don't think i have a leak in my line or my master. I really can't take anymore issues.

I let the car cool overnight and i went to work on it this morning. Nothing changed as far as engagement but it did lose some pedal pressure. The unusual thing is that the slave disengages but not fully so all i can get the clutch to do is slip but no fully disengage.

Greg
Old 12-11-2005, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

What slave did you use? If it was air you would think it would have done it before now or at least that is what I would think. Not 2 weeks later while you are tuning the car.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

The brand new 02+ slave that comes with the textralia clutch. That's why i am so stumped. If i can't figure it out by tonight i am just going to take it to cottman since i don't access to a lift anymore and whatever they do should have a warranty.

Greg
Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 PM
FormerVendor

You got me to. For something to popup like this after 2 weeks is very weird. Keep us informed on what they find. I sure would like to know. If I can think of anything I will PM you.

Joe
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for your time Joe. I dropped the car off at Cottman transmission and hopefully they will have time to take a look at it tomorrow.

The problem is i did the install myself (and i am an idiot when it comes to cars) but i did everything at once (engine and transmission install) and was pretty thorough about torque specs. The only thing i wasn't too sure about was the pilot bearing which was installed with the solid metal side facing the crank so the input would be pushing the whole bearing into the crank and not just the middle portion. I don't think that would have anything to do with the tranny engagement. I lubed up the input shaft with the GM version of the valvoline grease sold at autozone. I don't have any weird vibrations and the car runs smooth (i made sure to line up the PP and flywheel with the balance marker). I think the slave somehow is broken or possibly moved. When i installed the slave the bolt holes were slightly stripped (i didn't receive the original tranny i had sent out for the work) so i couldn't get the bolts really tight but i was on a time crunch and needed the car together. If the bolts came undone then shame on me but it was a progressive problem that happened all in about an hours time so i really don't know. At first i could still get it into and out of gear but it was sticking which turned into it not disengaging whatsoever.

I will post an update as soon as the car is taken apart and assessed as i plan to be right there watching.This is an unusual problem that probably has an easy fix i just need to know how it happened in order to prevent it in the future.

Greg
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update!!

So i had the shop tear down the car and pull the tranny out. The first thing noticed was some scratch marks in the bellhousing and some possible bent fingers on the PP but other than that everything looked fine. I had them pull the bellhousing and we saw a dow missing from the flywheel. So i guess somehow the PP got warped and that's why it wasn't disengaging but ran fine before that. We pulled the PP and the flywheel had little ridges all around where the clutch disk was slipping( meaning when i slipped the clutch to get the car moving as the clutch never did slip when fully engaged). I don't know if this is normal or not (i ordered the billet flywheel) so i hope to find out when i have a talk with Jeff later tonight. I contacted Pete and he was more than eager to help out. I didn't have any worries that Textralia wasn't going to do their part to help out but i just didn't know if i would find an obvious problem.

I didn't even think of it at the time but on the way home i noticed some nasty vibrations that i thought may have been caused from a missing cylinder (i burnt through a plug wire). So i assume those vibrations were from the P/P.

When i get some more info i will post it.
Greg
Old 12-20-2005, 02:40 AM
10 Second Club

did you find anything out
Old 12-20-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes i found out why it stopped working. It was all my fault as the clutch worked fine for 2 weeks. A bolt had started to back out of the P/P and that's it. I didn't use any thread locker when i installed the clutch (this was my first time doing something like this and i was working alone but now i know). Unfortunately, i sold my jack and jack stands other wise i would have fixed it myself. The guy doing the work should be finished today. I hope everything works fine.

Greg
Old 12-20-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for the update
Old 12-20-2005, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by disassembled
So i had the shop tear down the car and pull the tranny out. The first thing noticed was some scratch marks in the bellhousing and some possible bent fingers on the PP but other than that everything looked fine. I had them pull the bellhousing and we saw a dow missing from the flywheel. So i guess somehow the PP got warped and that's why it wasn't disengaging but ran fine before that. We pulled the PP and the flywheel had little ridges all around where the clutch disk was slipping( meaning when i slipped the clutch to get the car moving as the clutch never did slip when fully engaged). I don't know if this is normal or not (i ordered the billet flywheel) so i hope to find out when i have a talk with Jeff later tonight. I contacted Pete and he was more than eager to help out. I didn't have any worries that Textralia wasn't going to do their part to help out but i just didn't know if i would find an obvious problem.

I didn't even think of it at the time but on the way home i noticed some nasty vibrations that i thought may have been caused from a missing cylinder (i burnt through a plug wire). So i assume those vibrations were from the P/P.

When i get some more info i will post it.
Greg
I have the same problem, but this is not my first clutch and my bolts did not come loose. Same problem on the flywheel and a dowel pin came out and went right threw my bellhousing. My problem with the pedal is slightly different, I have to press the pedal down all the way and it will not shift into gear. Sometimes I can push the pedal down quickly after it sits for a few minutes idling and it will go into gear, so this is why I am leaning to the slave cylinder. Replaced the master with the new Ram510 blead the system and still the same problem...........I spoke with Pete and told him I think it could be the slave but he assured me that it isn't or it can't be "they work or they would leak" . I still have suspision that it may be because of the inconsitant pedal that I have, sometimes it is firm and sometimes it is softer.......... Still waiting to hear a response back from Jeff and Pete.
Does anyone have any idea or advise on what it may be???
Old 12-21-2005, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

sounds like it could be bent fingers on the pressure plate; if it is, you won't know for sure until you drop the tranny
Old 12-21-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

When i talked to Pete he told me not to replace the slave but i did anyway. They sent out a new P/P that had a different hat and different fingers on it. The clutch works just as good as it did before but now i finally have somewhat of a tune on my car. The clutch is holding fine as i can smoke the tires at 70 mph. We'll see how things go from here.

The dowels should not under any circumstance just come out of the flywheel. The dowel that came out of my flywheel was from my p/p coming loose. How long did you have the clutch? Good luck with it.

Greg
Old 12-21-2005, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by disassembled
When i talked to Pete he told me not to replace the slave but i did anyway. They sent out a new P/P that had a different hat and different fingers on it. The clutch works just as good as it did before but now i finally have somewhat of a tune on my car. The clutch is holding fine as i can smoke the tires at 70 mph. We'll see how things go from here.

The dowels should not under any circumstance just come out of the flywheel. The dowel that came out of my flywheel was from my p/p coming loose. How long did you have the clutch? Good luck with it.

Greg
I only have a total of 800 miles on the clutch, 400 easy break in miles, 200 a bit harder "a few hard shifts to make sure everything held up". Then I had the car dyno tuned "approx. 13-14 pulls at my tuner and 3 more pulls at another tuner just to compare numbers for fun". I noticed the pedal required me to push it more towards the floor after my tuner dynoed it. Drove it for a week and that is when this all started getting worse within in about a few days I couldn't get it into reverse. I have everything out and it looks fine, but as "pasbonsimon" mentioned I really didn't take a look at the fingers to see if they were pushed/bent in further. I took a look at the fingers and there are none that are off from each other, they all look pretty good and there is hardly no wear on the surface where the slave seats on them. I'm not to worried about the dowel pin coming out, I can always just put one in if the hole is not oversized now but the scratches do concern me, like if the material is giving out and is softer than the disk . The last thing I noticed is that the pedal was kind of stiff when first installed and then towards the last week of driving it "by the way this is just a weekend driver, I drove it those two weeks to break in the clutch and have it tuned" the pedal started to get softer, but every once in a while it would feel stiffer/harder but still would not let me ingage it into gear.
I'm glad to see that everything worked out for you, I wish mine was running the weather has been great for superchargers here in Calif. I haven't even had a chance to see what this thing can do since then

Last edited by 1RADWS6; 12-21-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I have the exact same problem.. Really hard to get into gear at RPM and stubborn to get in reverse. It does not feel like its loosing pedal pressure but it does engage right off the floor. I have all new Hydros as well. I even went with the Ram Adj master to see if it would help and adjusted fully out it still engages off the floor. I have bled the system every which way, incl mity vac with no change. Clutch was great for 400 miles and now it is acting messed up. I did use locktight on all the bolts, torqued them in the proper sequence and to the proper value and now its acting up 400 miles later. Well looks like im going to have to pull the *** out of the vette again. Anyone have any ideas before I do it and is Textralia easy to deal with when it comes to warrantys? This sucks
Old 12-26-2005, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by roadrash9r
I have the exact same problem.. Really hard to get into gear at RPM and stubborn to get in reverse. It does not feel like its loosing pedal pressure but it does engage right off the floor. I have all new Hydros as well. I even went with the Ram Adj master to see if it would help and adjusted fully out it still engages off the floor. I have bled the system every which way, incl mity vac with no change. Clutch was great for 400 miles and now it is acting messed up. I did use locktight on all the bolts, torqued them in the proper sequence and to the proper value and now its acting up 400 miles later. Well looks like im going to have to pull the *** out of the vette again. Anyone have any ideas before I do it and is Textralia easy to deal with when it comes to warrantys? This sucks
I haven't heard back from Jeff or Pete, I know it's the holiday's so I'll give them a little more time. I just want my car back on the road
Old 12-26-2005, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

This is irrelevent if a loose pressure plate was the problem, but FYI: one of the common things to do during a tune is turn off Catalyst Overtemp Protection (richer mixture used to cool the cat anytime the PCM calculates that it might get too hot). The clutch line passes close to the cat for a good chunk of it's length, so it IS plausible that tuning could cause clutch problems.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

the customer service at Textralia is top notch. They will take care of you.

Quick Reply: Brand tex clutch, brand new master and slave clutch stopped disengaging