Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibrations - New ZO6 clutch and all new hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibrations - New ZO6 clutch and all new hydraulics

I have a very bad vibration after the new ZO6 clutch assembly (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, bearing, etc.) and all new hydraulics were put in this Trans Am WS6 Convertible. So bad that I ended up putting in all new motor mounts and tranny mount. That did not help. The car is not fun to drive anymore, clutch grabs like a dream though.

The tires are brand new Micheling Pilot Sports, wheels are true (just came back from HRE Performance Wheels), and all were balanced using the Hunter GSP9700 road force balancer. They came out with flying colors. The exhaust touches nowhere.

Very noticeable under acceleration. Matter of fact when you push in on the clutch about an inch (while accelerating) you can really feel that it is vibrating tremendously. The car is completely Dynomat-ed. The clutch pedal is slow to return and in some cases kindof stick at the floor.

Is this a out of balance flywheel or something?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be an out of balanced FW but its sounds like the dreaded drill-out clutch master cylinder I've read about. Did you use blue loctite on the flywheel bolts? I hear they are notorious for backing out if you don't.

Ask Cammin BeaSSt what he thinks...they've come up with a fix for this I believe.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

The vibration you can feel throughout the chassis under acceleration but when you push the clutch pedal in about an inch or so....WOW. The Master and Slave are brand new OEM upgraded units and were installed with the ZO6 clutch parts.

This definitelty feels like a rotating mass vibration.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same thing, check the drive shaft and the tires, I have a brand new trans and 12 bolt so I am thinking its the clutch/FW but I have a spec stage 4 with aluminum FW I figured that they come balanced? guess not
Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BerryWS6
I have the same thing, check the drive shaft and the tires, I have a brand new trans and 12 bolt so I am thinking its the clutch/FW but I have a spec stage 4 with aluminum FW I figured that they come balanced? guess not
The wheels came back from HRE last month and are perfectly true. I have new Michelin Pilot Sports and were road force balanced - all 3 weeks ago. Last month installed new HD U-Joints. Today I installed a new OEM torque arm and removed that Spohn bastard. (It's on eBay). SPOHN Torque Arm

I just came back from a ride and it is still there, in the clutch pedal bad and feel it through the chassis under a load. Coasting out of gear at 140MPH the car is perfect. Under load...it's another GM shitbox.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Mark, are you talking about the LS6 or LS7 clutch?

I had the clutch & flywheel replaced in my Z06 when the stroker was installed with new LS6 parts. The drill mod was done too. No problems at first, but now my pedal sticks to the floor after a few seconds of WOT in 3rd & up. I've been told that the problem is due to the pressure plate not being properly torqued to the flywheel.

I'll be using the LS7 parts next.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z06phile
Mark, are you talking about the LS6 or LS7 clutch?

I had the clutch & flywheel replaced in my Z06 when the stroker was installed with new LS6 parts. The drill mod was done too. No problems at first, but now my pedal sticks to the floor after a few seconds of WOT in 3rd & up. I've been told that the problem is due to the pressure plate not being properly torqued to the flywheel.

I'll be using the LS7 parts next.
LS6 stuff. No drill mod just all new upgraded hydraulics.

That is the same thing that happened to mine after the install. Pedal would stick to the floor with a very slow release for the first 2-3 inches then slide out. It would do it after the car sat awhile. Now I just have the pedal vibrations....for now!

Who knows for sure what this is???
Old 12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
The wheels came back from HRE last month and are perfectly true. I have new Michelin Pilot Sports and were road force balanced - all 3 weeks ago. Last month installed new HD U-Joints. Today I installed a new OEM torque arm and removed that Spohn bastard. (It's on eBay). SPOHN Torque Arm

I just came back from a ride and it is still there, in the clutch pedal bad and feel it through the chassis under a load. Coasting out of gear at 140MPH the car is perfect. Under load...it's another GM shitbox.
I HATE my Spohn TA too the f***ing thing is gone as soon as I find a equal replacment that won't bang like this one does
my car vibrates in 4th (most noticable) on acceleration it gets worse but shift into 5th its gone, did this with the old trans and the new one. looks like LS7 stuff here I come
Old 12-30-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's start with when did the vibration start. If it was after the new clutch install then it is either the clutch or the drive shaft. If it vibrates with the car standing still it's the clutch, if it only happens when the car is moving it's probably the drive shaft unless you somehow bent the damaged the input shaft.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Let's start with when did the vibration start. If it was after the new clutch install then it is either the clutch or the drive shaft. If it vibrates with the car standing still it's the clutch, if it only happens when the car is moving it's probably the drive shaft unless you somehow bent the damaged the input shaft.
Its hard to tell since I only drive this car about 5k miles a year. The day I picked it up (Had the ZO6 clutch and Crane 1.8 installed) I got on the road and noticed the shifter jumping up in my hand. They said the tranny mount had only been finger tightened. That is when I really started to notice things.

I since had all the mounts replaced (tranny and motor) and the U-Joints. The vibration is most noticable under a load, accelerating. In nuetral at 50-60MPH revving the engine it is slight. Throw it in third and gas it and you feel it through the chassis and when you touch on the clutch pedal you really notice it bad.

Changing back to OEM torque arm made a slight difference.

Quick Reply: Vibrations - New ZO6 clutch and all new hydraulics