Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Please!!

I've had the Ram PowerGrip in for about 4000 miles. In the past month or so it was a lot harder to shift and then it stopped shifting all together. Well I adjusted the pedal out and then flushed the fluid and rebled it after that didn't work. The re-bleed fixed but when I took it for a test drive and speed shifted into 2nd gear it went gear but did not catch, it just reved up like the clutch pedal was depressed when it was not and the car just rolled to a stop. The car will shift into any gear with clutch pedal down or up but will not move. When the pedal is pressed all the way down I can hear and feel the Slave or TO bearing rubbing aghainst the Pressure Plate, and if I rev the car up in gear or not with clutch pedal up or down there is a heavy vibration/

Any suggestions? It sounds like the Slave overextended itself to me but am not to sure. Should I go with an aftermarket slave if this is the problem or just get another OEM one. The clutch pedal still has pressure in it by the way which is weird. Another thing, I did not replace the needle bearing when I put the clutch in. Could this be causing the vibration or something else?

Sorry for the long paragraph but I tried to include as much details as possible. PLEASE someone with some experience or if this happened to you please chime in. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:55 AM
9 Second Club

Looks like you might have to pull the tranny to see what you got. It may suck but no one is gonna be able give you an exact answer without seeing the clutch itself.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like smoke said you'll probly have to pull the trans and see what happened. While its out change the pilot bearing. Did you put in a 01/02 slave when you did the clutch or did you leave your 99 one in??
Old 12-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Launching!

I bought a new OEM slave from O-Reilly's. Is there a some physical difference I'll notice from a slave from a 00-01? I really will be very dissappointed if it's the clutch because it is only 4000 miles old.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Pilot bearing right. Sorry about using the wrong terminology. Is that pressed into the flywheel because I did not see it on the end of the shaft. If the clutch is good can I replace without taking the clutch assembly apart? I'll probably end up dropping the tranny today since it takes a couple of hours if Im doing it myself. THis is will be the fourth time I dropped the freakin tranny.

Anyone else with some input is greatly appreciated? Are there a lot of intances of slaves over extending themselves in rough driving?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The pilot bearing is pressed into the fly wheel. You will have to take the pressure plate off to get to it. GM upgraded the slaves that went in to the 01/02 cars. Was the slave you bought a GM or a oem replacement made a aftermarket company? If the slave is trashed you might want to get a gm one from a sponsor. I got my gm 02 slave from texas speed for $115.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
The pilot bearing is pressed into the fly wheel. You will have to take the pressure plate off to get to it. GM upgraded the slaves that went in to the 01/02 cars. Was the slave you bought a GM or a oem replacement made a aftermarket company? If the slave is trashed you might want to get a gm one from a sponsor. I got my gm 02 slave from texas speed for $115.
Actually the pilot bearing is pressed into the back of thr crankshaft