Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Revving car...RPM slow to bleed off. Could it be my Textralia clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Question Revving car...RPM slow to bleed off. Could it be my Textralia clutch?

I have a 02Z28 with a Textralia OZ700 clutch and the iron flywheel (factory style one from textralia.) The last 2x at the track I noticed that when I perform a quick burnout to heat the tires, the RPMS come down slowly after letting off the gas and disengaging the clutch (like a couple seconds slow from 4K to idle.. ) The clutch holds fine at the track, handles all launches and shifts, and drives fine on the street.

So....question is....is the heavy flywheel keeping my engine RPM's from rapidly spooling down when I rev the car? It will do this even in neutral if I rev the engine. It seems that with the stock clutch, the RPM bleedoff in neutral (just revving the engine) was much faster.

Anyhow, $0.02 appreciated.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air idle in the tune does that. I can make a stock engine snappy and a hybrid with an aluminum flywheel take a week too wind down. Speak to your tuner!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's standard after doing a burnout...there's something in the PCM that holds the RPMs after doing a burnout. I'm not sure what it is, as I don't do many burnouts and don't really care to spend my time looking for it. It has nothing to do with the inertia of the flywheel, as I'm sure the one you have from Textralia weighs about as much as the stock piece.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I always wondered why stock that they did this. My previous car (A4) was very quick up and down the revs after the cam and tune.

Wasn't like that stock, and my current car (M6) also revs down slowly, or slower than I prefer. When I get a tune I will be sure to have them "fix" this issue.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Appreciate the replies....at least I know it's not the clutch...and seems to be a common thing