Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Did I ruin my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I ruin my clutch?

Recently took my car on a 1200 mile trip back home for christmas. After about 400 miles my low oil light came on. I checked the oil and it was way down, so I added a few quarts and everything was fine. The back of the intake is where the leak was at, so it was dripping down and getting on my clutch.

After this i started noticing when i was in 4-6th gear and I tried to accelerate quickly to pass someone, my spec 4 ceramic clutch would slip and the engine would rev up without the car doing anything. I ended up having to put about 5 quarts of oil in durring the trip, and the clutch seemed to hold fine as long as i just accelerated slowly.

So my question is can i just fix the intake leak and let things dry out, or is the clutch shot?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

I would spray the hell outta the clutch with brake parts cleaner. I'm pretty sure your can get most of it cleaned but you'll probably have to drop the tranny and clutch to get it good. While your in there inspect to make sure you didn't burn the clutch or the flywheel. If you did then you would need to replace it regardless.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else?

this thing shot?

I also failed to note that i had the car absolutely full off stuff, several hundred pounds.