Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Got a ZOOM clutch, have a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a ZOOM clutch, have a few ?'s

Doesn't look like too many have this clutch, although Summit was back ordered on them, but anyways it looks like it's a rebadged LUK which I take also makes the LS1/6 clutch. Do they also make the LS7? It does have a Kevlar (Clutchtek material) disk. I sent their tech department an email asking about specs before I got this, but no reply. Could Zoom have contracted with LUK for a beefier pressure plate? Just wonder if anybody has gotten that in-depth into researching clutches. Guess I'll be the guinea pig for this one.

Also, found a slight dent (approx 1/4" length X 1/32" deep) on the edge of the disk that has a small part of the kevlar delaminating, probably dropped and packed on a Friday afternoon, but anyways I'm going to email Zoom to see if they'll send me a replacement. Is this something I need to fight to the bitter end, or will it have no impact on clutch performance once it's sandwitched in between the pressure plate and flywheel?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

if it has anything to do with LUK, RETURN THAT ****! I hate luk with a passion and their customer service sucks *** as well. They do not back any form of warranty they offer and if Zoom truley is a luk with their name on it, they will end up sending you to luk for any form of warranty. luk = bad. I even had one of their techs tell me straight up that their performance clutchs (Pro Gold Series) can fail at any time after their 90 day period. He told me their "heavy duty" clutch (that is built to be stronger and grip harder) is not as good or reliable as their stock replacement clutches! Their pressure plate for my setup warped and caused the pedal to stick to the floor and the clutch to slip. Sorry about all the negative but hope everything works out for you.

BTW...if that clutch you have has any damage whatsoever, return it and get a perfect one. You paid for it right? Get it right so that you have no problems.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Zoom is going to send me a new clutch disk, didn't have to fight them for it, so I'm pretty happy. Also got some info related to the clutch for anyone interested. Part of the email below.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:40 AM
To: 'Tony Windham'
Subject: RE: Damaged clutch disc

The damage to this friction material looks like it may be a little too severe to use, we would be happy to send a replacement at no charge!

The clamp load on this cover is 2300 lbs. OD = 11.7”, ID = 7.8”., with the Kevlar friction, that is 538 lb-ft with safety factor at the crank. RWTQ would come out to ~450 lb-ft. I would not recommend this clutch for high rpm dumps with drag radials or slicks.

BG
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

so far so good for you.

Quick Reply: Got a ZOOM clutch, have a few ?'s