Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 Problems.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 Problems.......

I bought my wife a used 99 Z28 M6 about 3 months ago. The guy claimed to put a new clutch in, but this thing is horrible when its cold. It is hard as hell to get in reverse, it doesn't want to down shift or go into basically any gear for the first 5 min. of driving. I tried bleeding the clutch several times and its no better.Also when driving aggressively the clutch pedal drops to the floor and doesn't return....WTF?
The car just turned 100k, so I doubt any of the hydrolics were ever changed. All I know is that my 97 TA WS6 is 10X smoother shifting than this thing.

any suggestions for a good clusch hydrolic setup that won't break the bank?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably has syncromesh fluid in it causing the hard shifting. It should be ATF
Doing the drill mod might help the pedal issue
Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Napa auto parts (maybe Riebees there) and order up an 02 slave and master. The master will run you $46.XX with a AAA discount and the slave isnt far from that price either.

IMHO it sounds like you are just another one of us with a notchy t56. In the morning it will be harder to get in gear and what not but when it warms up, it gets better. That is normal. Check the fluid in the tranny. It may be low, but probably needs to be changed.

After checking that and replacing the hydrolics, if its grinding gears, the synchros are more than likely going. there is a chance though that the guy put a bad clutch in and the PP is warped. You can read up on 2 of my threads about the clutch pedal sticking to the floor and all the steps I went through to fix the problem.