Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

free play at top of clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default free play at top of clutch pedal

i just wanna make sure on this. i think its just because im still breakin in the clutch and that is just free travel of the throwout bearing not riding on the pressure plate. but i can push the pedal down some and its really easy. if i pump it a little its will get a little bit better but then first time i push the clutch all the way and release its the same. i have new slave and master as well which is why i think its normal but want to check. ive bled the clutch about 5 times and strait fluid seems to come out of it.

pedal also catches on the floor, well just off the floor, but i heard that after break in it comes up. just want to check so i dont burn a clutch again lol
Old 12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is still a little air in there. The key to a good bleed is keeping the bleed port open just enough to get some fluid/air out. When I did mine I had my buddy push down the clutch pedal then when the pedal was all the way to the floor I would open and close the bleed port fairly quickly and then my buddy would release the pedal. After about 10 cycles I had a clutch pedal with absolutely no play. Keep an eye on the fluid level while your doing the bleed.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brak Attack
There is still a little air in there. The key to a good bleed is keeping the bleed port open just enough to get some fluid/air out. When I did mine I had my buddy push down the clutch pedal then when the pedal was all the way to the floor I would open and close the bleed port fairly quickly and then my buddy would release the pedal. After about 10 cycles I had a clutch pedal with absolutely no play. Keep an eye on the fluid level while your doing the bleed.
Does that actually work? I tried that and only fluid was shooting out of the bleeder valve and it was making one hell of a mess to say the least.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i hold the pedal to the floor and crack the bleeder and then shut it when everything has come out. i can give that a shot. its just hard as hell to do it fast cause there is no damn room lol
Old 12-23-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

will it hurt driving for a little? i dont have anyone to help me out right now to bleed it
Old 12-23-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i just went out there, rebled it and it seemed to help somewhat but not much its still got some play up top. if the clutch is grabbing low being its brand new and not broken in yet, could this just be normal? seeing the engagement is low i was thinking it may be normal? it doesnt feel mushy at all, my friends had air in it and it felt quite odd. it just has to be pushed down. almost feels like its free, then you push it 1/3 of the wya and it makes contact with the PP and then the rest of the way disengages the clutch. maybe? lol
Old 12-24-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

still doin it today, same thing. chagnes gears fine. im just worried i have a leak. there seems to be freeplay in the quick connect line going into the slave, i looked at it when the tranny was out and it didnt look bad at all. its just worrying me because i dont wanna have to go through all that **** again, the slave is brand new, i just hope thats not the case.

what are signs of a leak in the lines anywhere?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Im breaking in a brand new RPS clutch in my Z06, and something similar happened to me. I went about 20 miles on the freeway and when I exited, there was no resistance until almost halfway down to the floor. Pumping it a few times brought it back up.

I have an RPS clutch, new stock slave and a Mcleod adjustable master. Should I not have the Mcleod in there? Is there a leak? Any input?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

glad someone has something similar. only thing i can think of is without a shim in there, the slave backs out sofar to where it doesnt have contact with the throwout bearing. you push it a little and it makes contact. does your seem to act fine otherwise?

i hear a click comming from mine, i get so damn paranoid after **** like this thati look for everything wrong and damn i hope its nothing lol
Old 12-24-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

also mine did the same as yours, acted fine at first and once i drove it some is when i noticed this
Old 12-25-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

i still dont get it. after the car is shut off i cna go in it and the pedal feels fine, then once i start to drive is when i notice this issue. park it and it feels normal again. any ideas?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Does that actually work? I tried that and only fluid was shooting out of the bleeder valve and it was making one hell of a mess to say the least.
I have used the method on my car and my buddy's car, we both have a clutch that engages really well and there is no freeplay in either one. I personally couldn't tell if air was coming out with the fluid but if you do enough cycles you will get the air out. Both of our cars have the drill mod done and that seems to help also.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
glad someone has something similar. only thing i can think of is without a shim in there, the slave backs out sofar to where it doesnt have contact with the throwout bearing. you push it a little and it makes contact. does your seem to act fine otherwise?

i hear a click comming from mine, i get so damn paranoid after **** like this thati look for everything wrong and damn i hope its nothing lol
Unless your new clutch came with a shim you probably don't need one unless you have a flywheel that has been resurfaced quite a bit. The click you hear is probably the springs on the pressure plate (I get a click once in a while too). I doubt you will be able to "feel" the slave hitting the springs on the pressure plate. If it was a cable setup like the one on Mustangs you probably could feel it but on our wonderful GM hydraulic setup your not going to. Again I personally think you just need to bleed it better. Also make sure that the fluid isn't leaking anywhere, my friend put a brand new slave on his car only to have it **** fluid everywhere after about a week of driving. Hope some of this helps and I wish I could help you out personally. Car problems of all sorts are a bitch.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

well when the car is off the pedal feels normal. seem like when it is running is the only time i have the issue. i have bled it several times and i hear no air come out at all. if any air was introduced into the system it was very little as all that stuff was already on the car and bled and i didnt have this problem. i appreciate all the info it helps out. i am keeping an eye on the leak if there is on, bunch of fluid came out from bleeding but i dont think there is another leak, at least i hope not.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

i hold the pedal to the floor and crack the bleeder and then shut it when everything has come out. i can give that a shot. its just hard as hell to do it fast cause there is no damn room lol
Yeah it's a pain to do. My weapon of choice was a small 1/4" drive breaker bar that is about 3" long. Using a ratchet is not practical because of the fact that you have to change it from loosen to tighten. Here is one cycle of the way I bleed my clutch. After about ten cycles my clutch hydraulics were perfect.

1. Push the clutch pedal down
2. Crack the bleeder for a 1 count and then close
3. Release clutch pedal
Old 12-26-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

when i release the clutch it sticks to the floor, does it do that for you? i have an adaptor i can put a wrench on to crack it fast.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned

Your clutch pedal will stick to the floor after cracking the bleeder and tightening it back up, no matter how you do it.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok just checking
Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

well when the car is off the pedal feels normal. seem like when it is running is the only time i have the issue. i have bled it several times and i hear no air come out at all. if any air was introduced into the system it was very little as all that stuff was already on the car and bled and i didnt have this problem. i appreciate all the info it helps out. i am keeping an eye on the leak if there is on, bunch of fluid came out from bleeding but i dont think there is another leak, at least i hope not.
mine just started the same thing about a week ago...

every morning i have to pump the clutch up and fill the reservoir up with fluid, havent had the chance to get the car in the air to bleed it but i would think that adding a 1/4" to a 1/8" min. of fluid in the reservoir almost every day for 8-9 days i would be losing fluid somewhere...but NO sign of leaks...im confused...

when the car is in neutral i have good pedal feel, and ive got good feel off the line, but after the start it all goes to ****. i have around 2" of pedal (from the floor) for clutch disengement. all the rest is freeplay...im lost...any help?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

ive checked my resivior and it hasnt seemed to lost any fluid. i woudl check the lines on your master cyl, sometimes it leaks from underneath the resivoir

Quick Reply: free play at top of clutch pedal