Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

just installed textralia, possible blown slave cylinder, have ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs down just installed textralia, possible blown slave cylinder, have ????

i just installed a textralia in a car for a friend off mine. installed flywheel, clutch, pp, and new slave/throw out bearing. bled the system, everything went fine.

started the car and i could tell the new t/o bearing was bad right away (making noise and could feel it in the pedal). well about 1/2 mile up the road on the test drive i lose the clutch pedal, it goes right to the floor with zero pressure. tow it back to the shop and it has no clutch fluid in it. so i add more fluid and raise the car and the fluid is pouring right outta the bellhousing.

has this happened to anyone else. obviously i have to replace the slave and t/o bearing, but i was wondering if anyone had any input on the problem????

my biggest concern is i know if any brake fluid got on the clutch the brand new textralia is toasted, what are the chances of this happening?

tia
Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DId you check to see if the pressure line to the slave had the seal installed? also the brand new throw out bearing failed already? I had lots of engagment problems with mine and it took hours of bleeding the system using the slave bleeder and the mity vac. HOURS!!! got pedal pressure back and decent engagment. Did you tighten the bleeder on the slave? not as stupid as you think its hard to get to and could still be partialy cracked
Old 12-28-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

the line did have the seal, not a new one but the old seal was intact and in fine shape. the new t/o bearing was bad right away. i could tell. making tons of noise with the clutch pedal out and you could feel the vibration in your foot when you pushed the pedal, its unmistakable.

bleeder screw was also tight, that was the first thing i checked when we got it back in the air.

the reason i think something went out in the slave it the pedal and engagement were absolutely fine. then all of a sudden i lose the pedal completely and brake/clutch fluid is pouring outta the bellhousing.

this is the second textralia ive installed in a week, the first one went smooth as silk, but with this slave cylinder and t/o beaing on this car im about ready to blow the car up. (thats about the most civil way i can express my displeasure in having to yank this tranny again)
Old 12-28-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds exactly like what happened to me, slave cracked. Did you by chance have to pry a lot on the bellhousing when you were removing it?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=blown+slave
Old 12-28-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the link. the bellhousing on this car was fine and came off now problem but ill check into it tomorrow when i tear it down

did the fluid come outta the slave on your car or did the pistion just break off?? if fluid came out did it damage the clutch at all???
Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

The fluid leaked out the crack and out the bottom of the bellhousing and didn't get on the clutch at all. It emptied the reservoir in a hurry when i tried pumping the clutch before i knew what was going on though.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

hopefuly when i rip it apart tomorrow itll shed a little more light on what happened, ill post up when i do
Old 12-29-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck....
Old 12-29-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

for those interested i tore it down today. what happened was the t/o bearing, which i could tell was fucked up right when i started the car, basically shredded itself to pieces and caused the slave to overextend itself and blow the seals out (at least thats what looks like happened)

more fun though after installing a new slave and starting the rebleeding procedure. found out the master was bad as well (fitting that goes into the slave cylinder got damaged). so now i gotta install a new master

god i hate cars
Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

quit lying, paul and i are your 2 favorite people to see at TK now that lloyd is gone.

edit: much thanks agian!

Last edited by slmdLS1; 01-09-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tally,

Sounds like you're having problems similar to what I'm running into with my slave. Difference is I started messing with it because of a slave going bad back in '02. Since then I've had nothing with problems replacing the slave and having the input shaft shred them (1 in jul, 1 immediately after I replaced it, and now this one in Oct.) One of my slaves failed identically to what P mack posted in his other thread, and I've got a thread running right now about the latest incident.... I've replaced the friction disc, pressure plate, and swapped the flywheel out with a brand new fidanza aluminum flywheel with no effect. Let's just say I'm a bit sick (and getting pretty good at) of taking this trans in and out.

After seeing what P Mack said and talking to quite a few people I'm thinking it's a definite alignment issue and am beginning to suspect that my bellhousing is screwed up in one way or another.

Here's the latest thread with pics of my 2nd slave in a year:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/433199-input-shaft-rubbing-inside-slave-cylinder.html

P Mack, where'd you get your bellhousing, and are these parts matched to the engine tranny combination or do you swap the dowels or something?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

I should clarify, the bellhousing fixed my issue with slaves just blowing up. However when i pulled my engine for the shortblock swap i found that the input shaft had shredded the tip of my slave. It was still working normal but i replaced it anyway.

Quick Reply: just installed textralia, possible blown slave cylinder, have ????