Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possibly a Dumb Q about slippage

Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly a Dumb Q about slippage

Ok so WHAT is clutch slippage? I read people saying that they often tend to slip the clutch. Is this like easing the clutch to its sweet spot to take off? If it is then how the hell are you supposed to take off w.o spinning the tires etc?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt...
Old 12-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Launching!

when people are talking about there cltuch sliping they are saying it is spinning against the flywheel when it should not be, like "the clutch was slipping at the track", this is not on the launch, i slip the hell out of mine on the launch but that is with foot control. When a clutch slips it feels like you are spinning the tires but its really just the clutch spinning agains the flywheel. IT usualy happens at higher rpms where the motor is making more power than the clutch can hold. When it slips its time for a new clutch because that one is roasted, hope that helps
Old 12-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6GoFast
when people are talking about there cltuch sliping they are saying it is spinning against the flywheel when it should not be, like "the clutch was slipping at the track", this is not on the launch, i slip the hell out of mine on the launch but that is with foot control. When a clutch slips it feels like you are spinning the tires but its really just the clutch spinning agains the flywheel. IT usualy happens at higher rpms where the motor is making more power than the clutch can hold. When it slips its time for a new clutch because that one is roasted, hope that helps
clutch slippage can also happen when there is a huge load on the motor

and the best way to test for slippage is get the car to as low of an rpm as you can (without stalling the motor) in 5th gear and floor the gas pedal if the rpm's go up but your speed dosent increase you have a slipping clutch

Search this Thread