Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst problems...

I bought a chrome handle Hurst billet plus a while back and I've had a few problems with it. First, the bottom bolt that held the actual stick to the sjifter back completely out (not fun). Now the shift stop bolt somehow screwed it self in, therefore preventing me from getting into any top gears. It's a simple fix, I just need to dump loctite all over it, but I want to know if anyone else is having this problem with theirs.

Not trying to bash Hurst, I love the feel of this shifter and plan on keeping it.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like you should have used loctite on the install - that is hardly a Hurst problem but an install FU. The stop bolts do nothing except give the problem you had- back them way the hell off and glue them there.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Lesson learned.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Been thinkin about it, so where should I adjust the stop bolts to? Surely they're there for something. And if not then that would be a design flaw
Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboZ28
I bought a chrome handle Hurst billet plus a while back and I've had a few problems with it. First, the bottom bolt that held the actual stick to the sjifter back completely out (not fun). Now the shift stop bolt somehow screwed it self in, therefore preventing me from getting into any top gears. It's a simple fix, I just need to dump loctite all over it, but I want to know if anyone else is having this problem with theirs.

Not trying to bash Hurst, I love the feel of this shifter and plan on keeping it.
Yep as stated above user error. The directions clearly state to use loctite and shows you how to properly adjust it as well. My adj screws havent moved and I didnt use loctite on them.The shifter has worked flawlessly with no trouble at all.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Well I feel pretty dumb.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboZ28
Well I feel pretty dumb.
we all make mistakes, muts have shocked the crap out of you when the shifter came loose in your hand. I did it too haahha didn have any loctite when I did the instal and then forgot to go back and apply some. I was in an intersection when the shifter let loose in my hand. I knew what it was right away so I pulled into the nearest parking lot and put the screw back in and headed home to fix it right. Only one screw came out and the thing kind of rotated on the other screw, felt like I broke the whole damn thing off

Quick Reply: Hurst problems...